• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

0 Level Character Rules are up

Damn, somethings broken with the quick reply....

@ Topic: Very interstingly, the level 0 adventure is the followup of the old ADnD 2nd edition level 0 adventure*, which is neatly resting between my 4e books...

it was one of the first adventures I played in ADnD, one of the first adventuresi converted to 3.0 and 3.5 and I already converted it to 4e (using my own level 0 rules in 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 and in 4e also using Avandra as the goddess of the isle)

*The adventure is called "die Schatzjagd".

@ level 0 rules:
I like them, but I would definitively add stength to the primal and shadow power source and I would give all weapon users a +1 bonus to attack, when using a wepon that has a +3 proficiency and maybe a -2 when using the powers unarmed...
or better do away with the +2 bonus and instead add the weapon´s proficiency bonus to the attack roll

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Damn, somethings broken with the quick reply....

@ Topic: Very interstingly, the level 0 adventure is the followup of the old ADnD 2nd edition level 0 adventure*, which is neatly resting between my 4e books...

it was one of the first adventures I played in ADnD, one of the first adventuresi converted to 3.0 and 3.5 and I already converted it to 4e (using my own level 0 rules in 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 and in 4e also using Avandra as the goddess of the isle)

*The adventure is called "die Schatzjagd".

Crazy... Your post was there but all it said was the thing about the quick reply... but when I quoted it was there. :p

Klaus

First Post
It's an interesting concept, but I couldn't imagine ever using it, even to introduce new players to the game.
Look at it as a different version of character creation: pick a power source, a skill, distribute your attributes and >BOOM!< let's play!

Mengu

First Post
I can see a few DM's who would use this. I've been in some games (various non-D&D systems), where we started at orphanages and the like, at apprentice level. It's a fun "this is where we came from" start up to an adventuring career.

One thing I'd change is, in all the powers, I'd replace all instances of "ability score" with "4". Makes stat distribution a little easier, so some characters aren't stuck with a power they can't use because no stats line up (like Barbarian or Monk).

So basically all attacks would be +6 vs AC, or +4 vs FRW, dealing dice (or static mod) + 4 damage.

There are some strange interactions to keep in mind. For instance a wild elf starts with javelin and spear proficiency, and a shield dwarf starts with handaxe proficiency. These are all simple weapons, and would add their proficiency bonus, making these characters a little more potent. It's probably no big deal, since it's only likely to be a session or two, but something to think about.

Writing these characters out as monster blocks would sidestep these potential issues, and make running them quite simple. Your attack bonus is +6 vs AC, that's it.

Obryn

Hero
It's an interesting concept, but I couldn't imagine ever using it, even to introduce new players to the game.
It's for use if you want to tell the sorts of stories a 0-level character would participate in.

I think there's a place for it; 4e hasn't supported zero-to-hero gaming until now. This fills one of the system's blind spots, and it looks pretty solid!

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads