• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Eh, until relatively recently, the "Mexican" food many Americans grew up with was Taco Bell. So people who have only known that, living in Wisconsin or something, aren't under any sort of onus to seek out fish tacos or torta or (deep end of the pool) lengua.

Now, if you grew up in Albuquerque, on the other hand, they should put you in jail if your choice for Mexican food is Taco Bell. (New Mexican vs. Mexican food is a whole other discussion, of course.)

I don't get why people go to Olive Garden or Dominoes, but if they like it they like it.

Where I live we have good taco places. When I was younger we didn't have them. But now the places we have are as good as the places I remember having in Southern California and in Mexico.

That said, those are still restaurants. I think chasing authenticity in food is sometimes too much of a fetish for people. I don't understand why people seem to see finding the best taco or the most authentic pad thai, to be an achievement. But if you want authentic, eat at someones' table. Restaurants are all selling product. That is why Italian food always is off at restaurants to me (even ostensibly authentic places). No restaurant is ever going to taste like home cooked food. Same with other cuisines. I've worked in a lot of restaurants. None of them taste much like the stuff my wife makes at home

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don't get why people go to Olive Garden or Dominoes, but if they like it they like it.

Where I live we have good taco places. When I was younger we didn't have them. But now the places we have are as good as the places I remember having in Southern California and in Mexico.

That said, those are still restaurants. I think chasing authenticity in food is sometimes too much of a fetish for people. I don't understand why people seem to see finding the best taco or the most authentic pad thai, to be an achievement. But if you want authentic, eat at someones' table. Restaurants are all selling product. That is why Italian food always is off at restaurants to me (even ostensibly authentic places). No restaurant is ever going to taste like home cooked food. Same with other cuisines. I've worked in a lot of restaurants. None of them taste much like the stuff my wife makes at home
I think the quality matters quite a bit. Some folks just have higher standards and wont settle. I dont think its so much as being authentic as the goal, as it is to have a better quality experience. The authentic places usually provide it, where the mass produced places do not. You shouldnt let that bother you if you want to eat McD's or Subway.

Eh, until relatively recently, the "Mexican" food many Americans grew up with was Taco Bell. So people who have only known that, living in Wisconsin or something, aren't under any sort of onus to seek out fish tacos or torta or (deep end of the pool) lengua.

Now, if you grew up in Albuquerque, on the other hand, they should put you in jail if your choice for Mexican food is Taco Bell. (New Mexican vs. Mexican food is a whole other discussion, of course.)
As some one who lives in New Mexico, I'm pretty sure we put you on death row if you chose Taco Bell for taco tuesday instead of any number of actual Mexican places. And I believe it's justifiable homicide if you ask for Colorado green chile.

Ryujin

Legend
(Literally about the food I just ate)

Taco Bell tacos are not great tacos, but they are great Taco Bell tacos and hit the spot just fine when that is what is wanted (and when there is no line at the drive thru and it takes like two minutes total to get them).
Oh, how I long for the days of the $0.50 tacos. Ten of them for dinner, when I worked at the Toronto Airport.

Hatch chiles for the win.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I don't understand Dominoes, unless that's the only pizza near you and you are jonesing really bad.

Olive Garden? I can understand Olive Garden (or, the Olive Garden I recall - I haven't been there in many years now). And TGI Friday's, And Applebee's. None of them are great food, but they are all passable food.

And at least at Olive Garden, you can play a larp while you eat the passable food.

As for Taco Bell...

Back when we owned a snake, we had the realization that, pound for pound, Taco Bell was less expensive than the food we bought for our snake. It led to the faux slogan: "Taco Bell: It's cheaper than rats!"

Remove ads