• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paid Convention Games?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Do they really drop games that often.
It happens. Sometimes people overbooked their time and got tired out. Sometimes they got distracted by other stuff like talking with the GM or players of an earlier game they had that day. Sometimes they're quite willing to write off a nominal fee for the event ticket.
Trouble is, even with a wait list, if that ticket is never returned to the organizer, nobody on the wait list get a chance to purchase it. Maybe they'll show up at the table at event time hoping there's an open slot - but that's otherwise the only chance a wait-lister has. But if the fee isn't just nominal, it may be harder to simply write it off without returning it to the pool for the refund.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The only in-person Con I've attended since getting back into TTRPGs in 2014 was Con of the North and they didn't charge per game. But that is a smaller, local con. I haven't been to Gen Con since the late 80s, when it was in Milwaukee. I don't remember paying per game back then, but obviously things have changed.

I did on on-line Con a few years ago, but I think I only paid per session. There was no "badge" cost. I assume the on-line convention organizers took a cut from ever session.

I'll be going to Gamehole Con in October. So it will be interesting to see what the per game costs will be.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I've been out of the con gig for so long now I wouldn't even want to comment. Years ago I didn't see it routinely at DunDraCons, but I think the last one I went to was in the early 90's.

In my time, we had to buy event tickets and we would be able to open up a table or play games, not pay DM/GMs extra at all. Especially $12 is a quite high price. But I guess it is becoming a norm.

Celebrim

Legend
There is really only one hosting group charging for tickets at Origins. I don't know if I should name them, and I don't know what their reasoning is.

The only other cases I can think of where there are per ticket fees are:

a) Celebrity GM events.
b) Living Campaign event

There is really only one hosting group charging for tickets at Origins. I don't know if I should name them, and I don't know what their reasoning is.
High demand, maybe? If they've had problems with having to turn hopefuls away in the past maybe they're charging because A) they can and B) they're hoping to avoid the no-show/walkout problem that's already been mentioned.

If people are willing to pay an extra $12 for a few hours of con gaming I can't really fault anyone for collecting on it.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
b) Living Campaign event
I just want to note that I stand corrected on my post #20. I think I’ve almost always signed up for organized play events (PF1, PF2, 5e, Call of Cthluhu). which may be why I assumed all events were paid. I did sign up for a Konosuba TRPG event a few years ago, which I enjoyed, but I can’t remember whether I paid anything for it. Unfortunately, that was a demo event, so they haven’t done anything since.

⁂​

I don’t tend to sign up for many events because I usually feel pretty ambivalent about what’s available. There do appear to be Shadowdark events this year though ….

billd91

The only other cases I can think of where there are per ticket fees are:

a) Celebrity GM events.
b) Living Campaign event
It's definitely more than one hosting group. I downloaded the event list and a bit over 25% of all events are charging a fee, including RPGs. Most of the RPGs look like they come from 3-4 hosting groups, but there appear to be some individual GMs as well.
From the Origins Event Submission Handbook, it looks like a GM (or host) can set a fee, supply a reason, and Origins will review it. If accepted, they take a cut of it. So presumably, GMs/Hosts can set a fee so they get compensated to the degree they feel they should be compensated by the players they are serving.

billd91

I just want to note that I stand corrected on my post #20. I think I’ve almost always signed up for organized play events (PF1, PF2, 5e, Call of Cthluhu). which may be why I assumed all events were paid. I did sign up for a Konosuba TRPG event a few years ago, which I enjoyed, but I can’t remember whether I paid anything for it. Unfortunately, that was a demo event, so they haven’t done anything since.
In my experience, ticketed demo events tend to be free or set to a minimal cost. After all, they want as many players to come by and try the game as possible. The lower the cost, the more attractive it is to check it out.

Remove ads