• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paid Convention Games?

Reynard

Legend
Friends of mine and I are going to origins together this year and we have started looking for games to play as event registration approaches (May 4 FYI). I have noticed a bunch of paid events, and am a little shocked. it doesn't seem to be based on any particular quality of the game, just some GMs charge.

As someone that run games at a few cons a year, I am non-plussed.

Is this a common practice these days? And who, precisely, pays an additional $12 to play a Shadowdark gauntlet or M&M game?

Reynard

Legend
Yeah, pretty standard practice. $12 seems a little high to me though.
I am in the NE of the US, and the two bigger cons I do has free event tickets and no additional cost events unless it is miniature painting or whatever.

I am okay with the idea of a premium event (like if it were in a private room rather than the hall, or there is a bunch of extras) but just charging 10 bucks because you can rankles me in all the wrong ways.

Reynard

Legend
Yeah, paid games are common. Whenever I went to Gen Con, the event tickets had a price. Same now with Gamehole. In fact, Gamehole increased ticket prices last year to discourage player no-shows.
It isn't a standard event cost. it is obvious the GMs are setting the prices per event.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Years ago you bought event tickets for $2 each or whatever, but then most cons I wwlent to dropped that part. Now GMs are charging on their whim, which feels weird.
With the net these days folks are incredibly low commitment. Join drop at a hat with zero concern. If I’m traveling to a con I’d probably want to protect against wasting my time.

Reynard

Legend
With the net these days folks are incredibly low commitment. Join drop at a hat with zero concern. If I’m traveling to a con I’d probably want to protect against wasting my time.
People paid often close to.$100 for a con badge and then hundreds of dollars for travel and housing. Do they really drop games that often.

Like I said, I run a lot of games at cons and no-shows are exceedingly rare. But these are regional cons without the vast array of non-gaming options so maybe it is more common to have no shows at GenCon or Origins?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
People paid often close to.$100 for a con badge and then hundreds of dollars for travel and housing. Do they really drop games that often.

Like I said, I run a lot of games at cons and no-shows are exceedingly rare. But these are regional cons without the vast array of non-gaming options so maybe it is more common to have no shows at GenCon or Origins?
I have never run games myself, but I hear it complained about a lot from folks who do.

Remove ads