• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What games, currently, have your interest?

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Of I had to be pinned down right now I’d say multiple worlds. I want warp travel in at least one chapter. Definitely multiple worlds in the same system.

In my head the Australia connections are being pursued by a rival Radical =I=, the London sections involve planetary nobility, the New York sections deal with down Hive scum and gangers.

Picking a chaos god to hang the whole thing on is the hard part. Tzeentch is the obvious choice but I’m leaning towards Slaanesh or Nurgle at this point.
Sounds like fun. :). Maybe one world is out in the system’s Oort Cloud - half a light year or more away. That’d be worth. A warp hop. The faction abilities feel good. Thinking about what god offered to the expedition baddies, could easily be Slaanesh at work.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Drat. Yeah, I'm a fan of Masks for what it's designed to do, but adult heroes are not what it does - hence the appeal of WiP, which seems to examine an aspect of the genre that doesn't get addressed much in other systems - maybe Aberrant a bit (where Taint is the big risk of pushing yourself) but the setting is so not-Four-Color I find it a bit off-putting, and Sentinel Comics also has quite a few "oops" moments thanks to their twist mechanics - which are as much a metacurrency cost for being extra-awesome as they are a price for pushing to success in an Overcome.
I'd love to hear about your experiences with Sentinel Comics. I also haven't had a chance to play it.

Basically, my formative RPG years were first D&D (Basic & AD&D, but then lots of focus on AD&D 2nd with regular groups) and Champion (now Hero System). Played some TMNT and Other Strangeness, M&M, V&V, Marvel (FASERIP) and other 80s/90s supers, which were generally more D&D-like than not. Run Marvel Heroic Roleplay.

But I've had like a decade of no chance to play supers. Well, a very short FATE Daring Comics. I've run Masks more than once, but never had a chance to play. It's the polar opposite of the superhero physics simulator that Champions was, and so good.

But I want to play supers. I put it on top of my ranking, but none of the games in it I've played.

So if you can share your experiences with Sentinel Comics (or any others like ICONS), I would appreciate it.

Basically, my formative RPG years were first D&D (Basic & AD&D, but then lots of focus on AD&D 2nd with regular groups) and Champion (now Hero System). Played some TMNT and Other Strangeness, M&M, V&V, Marvel (FASERIP) and other 80s/90s supers, which were generally more D&D-like than not.
Funny how much all of those (barring Champions and FASERIP) show the DNA of D&D in their designs, isn't it?
So if you can share your experiences with Sentinel Comics (or any others like ICONS), I would appreciate it.
Unfortunately I haven't really done anything like session reports, and while I've got a series of posts planned talking about play expectations and system strengths and weaknesses they're not even in rough draft format yet. You might find the blog posts on this index page somewhat useful for getting a feel for game mechanics in practice but it's not really what you're asking about.

In broad terms, I'd describe the game as fairly rules-lite, with the actual gameplay explained in about 32 pages including examples - less mechanically complex than V&V, more so than Masks - with most of the complexity sitting in character creation (akin to M&M or Champions, but with considerably fewer decision points and very little math involved). There's a strong focus on "action scenes" which is a game term for any situation where there's some kind of time pressure involved - often but not always involving combat, and without a set turn length so you can do some innovative stuff with the system like (say) running a political campaign over the course of several months of in-game time as a single extended action scene. There are also "montage scenes" which reflect prep, investigation, and recovery opportunities and are usually light on die-rolling but advance the story toward the next action scene, and "social scenes" that are more or less pure roleplaying with few or no die rolls involved - and can be purely between PCs if desired or involve NPCs as well, which is good for developing your character personalities and have a small mechanical benefit (everyone involved earns a hero point, giving you an edge next session).

Character design has (technically) three approaches, each of which proceed through the same eight steps (one of which is just finishing touches) in slightly different ways. Which approach(es) you use is usually decided on by the GM or the whole table, and IME it really doesn't break anything if different players use different approaches. "Guided" (as in: by the dice) is the randomized system, where you roll several dice and choose some of them to make decisions in the current step, then roll more to determine your options for the next - this is best for beginners (it has the least decisions to make) but also useful for inspiration. "Constructed" removes the randomness and just lets you choose how you proceed through each step, at the cost of adding a lot more decision making and having some potential for analysis paralysis - but it's also good building to a firm concept, and some people just hate letting luck decide anything in character gen. The "secret third option" is rarely used IME, and essentially throws most restrictions out the window in the interest of letting you build whatever you want - which obviously could have some serious problems with cherry-picking, but should let you create even the weirdest character concepts. The fact that a good GM-player team can make the third option work with some careful compromises says something about how tough it is to seriously break game balance.

It's hard to speak about what a "normal" game session looks like for everyone, but IME a 5-8 hour weekly session with 3-6 players who were all comfortable with the system would normally see 2-3 action scenes interspersed with 1-3 montage scenes and as many social scenes as people were comfortable with - you don't have to be in a social scene to roleplay, and one can end abruptly if the situation calls for an action scene breaking out as someone attempts to murder their conversational partner. From teh GM's side of things your prep pretty much consists of coming up with some events that might happen - usually but not always driven by villainous schemes - and planning out action scenes to support those events. There's some stuff on that blog link about my approach to designing action scenes, but I probably didn't emphasize that doing improv to create is pretty easy once you know your players styles and have a few baddies handy to pull from - there's literally hundreds of villains on my blog, and thousands of fan-made ones online.

Oh, and one critically important thing - despite the name and at least some of the designers' desires, there is no need whatsoever to confine yourself to playing the SCRPG in their universe. Works just as well as Champions, M&M, V&V as an engine for playing your own homebrew setting, and can be adapted to published real-comic settings pretty easily. If you want to use the canon setting the book covers it fairly well and there are hundreds of podcasts from the creators fleshing it out further (although maddeningly most of the content is pre-RPG timeline, before their faux-publisher's equivalent to DC Crisis on Infinite Earths reboot), but it sure isn't mandatory.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I’m not familiar with that last one. What’s it about?
It's a historical OSR-adjacent rules set. It's got the best OSR combat rules I've had the privilege to read and so I am naturally busy hacking away at combining those combat rules with some more standard OSR fantasy mechanics and design goals. The original is set in the 15th century Baltic, which is wonderfully evocative and I'm going to try and retain that flavour and depth as well. The game is currently $8 CAD in DTRPG and, IMO, worth every penny. Link

In my experience (and I run a lot of Savage Worlds) heists work great if you lean into dramatic tasks and you allow Bennies to be spent for "prep".
that's the plan. The biggest change is a fundamental change to the Bennie economy and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about it. In my changes for this specific game, I've replaced general bennies with a Stress stat. The Stress stat does everything a Bennie can do, plus the Flashbacks and other Blades specific stuff. I think part of the heart of Blades is managing that stess and the decisions it requires. Most characters will start with between 8-9 Stress so plenty. Jokers will still award. Improving stats can raise Stress and there will be two Edges that increase Stress outright. Otherwise Stress is recovered by exercising Vice, exactly as in Blades.

Dramatic tasks, Chases, and the rest of the SWADE toolkit will be used to replace things like clocks, the using Dramatic Tasks for social conflict, negotiations, and so on should come into play. I want an element of tactical combat, so we'll lean into Quick Encounters for unimportant stuff and limit the actual combat time to 1/2 per heist.

Nakana

Explorer
The game that currently has most of my interest is the one I've been creating for roughly the past year. But, the journey of designing a game has led to a LOT of research.

I'm revisiting D&D 4th, d20 Modern, discovered the Elephant and Macaw Banner, Goblin Slayer (despite how one might feel about the anime/manga the trpg system is fantastic), Cairn, Lamplight, There and Back Again, GIST!, and Freeform Roleplaying system.

It's been an interesting experience really studying and analyzing system mechanics in relation to settings and defining the goals of a game and how best to accomplish those goals.

Remove ads