• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Alternate Art Cover Reveal

Alternate Player's Handbook cover art by Wylie Beckert.

Polygon revealed the alternate art for the 2024 Player's Handbook.

"Illustrated by Wylie Beckert, the alt art cover of the Player’s Handbook (2024) features a party comprised of D&D’s four iconic classes — the fighter, the wizard, the cleric, and the rogue — all gathered around a friendly gold dragon, sharing tea. This gentle scene stands in stark contrast to the mainline Player’s Handbook (2024), which will have a bright, bold cover by Tyler Jacobsen with similar characters posed in the moments before striking a blow."

0_DnD_PHB_ALT_Cvr_Full_Cvr.jpg.webp

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I think there's a general question of the purpose of the art as representation vs. inspiration. And also how the cover fits into the broader portfolio of the art included in the book.

If all someone sees is the cover, then I can see how it would be viewed as disconnected from the game experience.

But if there is a good mix of "kickass" and "slice of life" type art, then I can see a good case for this cover serving as inspiration to think of the game more broadly than just as a monster killing simulator.
Or if there were systems in the PHB that were about that sort of thing. Chapter 13: Running Your Own Tavern or whatever. But I don't think we can expect the 2024 PHB to be significantly different than the 2014 in that regard. it is 90% combat.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Or if there were systems in the PHB that were about that sort of thing. Chapter 13: Running Your Own Tavern or whatever. But I don't think we can expect the 2024 PHB to be significantly different than the 2014 in that regard. it is 90% combat.
Backgrounds and BIFTs (which I know are not exactly popular) exist for this type of thing.

Sure, I wouldn't disagree.

That said, if the cover art inspires more players to look for more nice in-character moments outside of combat, I think that's a good thing.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I don’t think it has to be either, if you want that you can go for the regular cover. Chances are people buying the alternative cover in FLGS already know what D&D is like
I know people say "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover," but I know I have many times. I've judged a bottle of wine by the bottle. If I saw that cover in a FLGS, I would say "cool!" and think it was for an entirely different game. I'm sure it will be a one-time thing, but if copies of that are floating around a couple of years from now, I wonder what new players will expect with a book like that. That cover says it's a game by John Harper, not D&D. And if someone wants to make a game based on that cover aesthetic, sounds good to me: I'd be interested.

payn

That is a stretch. Those things don't lay out a play activity, which is what we are talking about here.
...and thats part of the problem. One of the reasons im more attracted to Pathfinder is Paizo makes much more of an effort to push play beyond monster kill sim in both artwork and mechanics (albeit with an overabundance of buckles ;)).

payn

I know people say "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover," but I know I have many times. I've judged a bottle of wine by the bottle. If I saw that cover in a FLGS, I would say "cool!" and think it was for an entirely different game. I'm sure it will be a one-time thing, but if copies of that are floating around a couple of years from now, I wonder what new players will expect with a book like that. That cover says it's a game by John Harper, not D&D. And if someone wants to make a game based on that cover aesthetic, sounds good to me: I'd be interested.
It's true, you need more than an art piece to drive interest in expanded play. This could be a move in that direction, or a one off. Either way its a pretty piece for the book shelf that doesnt look like fantasy G.I. Joe cover #3344532213456

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I think this one is really sweet ... it's a little self-referential, the whole "we're having a long rest" scene really only makes sense if you already know that D&D is supposed to be about action adventures and that this is what happens in between, but really, who doesn't know? It's just nice to see D&D characters (and a gold dragon!) humanized in this way. They're not wielding big blades, getting ready to kick some serious ass. They're drinking tea. Let's kick some ass tomorrow again. Tonight, just give me a cup of tea and a good book.
I agree it's a nice contrast in covers, one shows them in the midst of battle and the alternate cover at rest. I really like both and will get both, the regular cover for my players and this one for the dungeon master. Jacobsen is such an icon fantasy artist, so happy they used him for the main cover, big fan of his work.

Cafe con leche!!!!

Remove ads

Remove ads