• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Alternate Art Cover Reveal

Alternate Player's Handbook cover art by Wylie Beckert.

Polygon revealed the alternate art for the 2024 Player's Handbook.

"Illustrated by Wylie Beckert, the alt art cover of the Player’s Handbook (2024) features a party comprised of D&D’s four iconic classes — the fighter, the wizard, the cleric, and the rogue — all gathered around a friendly gold dragon, sharing tea. This gentle scene stands in stark contrast to the mainline Player’s Handbook (2024), which will have a bright, bold cover by Tyler Jacobsen with similar characters posed in the moments before striking a blow."

0_DnD_PHB_ALT_Cvr_Full_Cvr.jpg.webp

While I do quite like this, and moreso than the original, it is quite strange that both of them feature ally dragons.

Is this a circumstance that happens often for others? Certainly has never occurred for me.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And that's my issue with it: it is not going to jive with anything in the book itself, which makes it a poor cover choice no matter how cool the art is on its own.
Understandable. But, I don’t know, D&D doesn’t necessarily need to be full of bombast. This image could be a nice tone-setter for a more mellow, intimate campaign.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Understandable. But, I don’t know, D&D doesn’t necessarily need to be full of bombast. This image could be a nice tone-setter for a more mellow, intimate campaign.
I'm not sure anything in the PHB is going to support a "mellow, intimate" D&D campaign.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not sure anything in the PHB is going to support a "mellow, intimate" D&D campaign.
I’m not sure such a tone necessarily requires rules support. It’s definitely not the tone I would typically expect from D&D, but I don’t think it’s outside the scope of what could be done within D&D’s framework.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think this is a great cover, but nothing about it says D&D to me. For another game, this might be a home run but for me I think it's disconnected from what playing the game is actually like.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
True. I think since 3E/4E the artwork has leaned fantasy kick ass action. Which isnt a wrong way to portray D&D, but this alternate cover implies a more storytelling in the lives of fantasy characters tone.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I’m not sure such a tone necessarily requires rules support. It’s definitely not the tone I would typically expect from D&D, but I don’t think it’s outside the scope of what could be done within D&D’s framework.
Are people going to come to D&D to play that kind of game, though? Or, if this cover made them do so and they then saw that the PHB was 90% about punching things with magic, would they be disappointed?

Are people going to come to D&D to play that kind of game, though? Or, if this cover made them do so and they then saw that the PHB was 90% about punching things with magic, would they be disappointed?
I think there's a general question of the purpose of the art as representation vs. inspiration. And also how the cover fits into the broader portfolio of the art included in the book.

If all someone sees is the cover, then I can see how it would be viewed as disconnected from the game experience.

But if there is a good mix of "kickass" and "slice of life" type art, then I can see a good case for this cover serving as inspiration to think of the game more broadly than just as a monster killing simulator.

Remove ads

Remove ads