• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) - Buffy (spoilers at least in first post)

Xanders place in the Buffyverse

I think the reason iits hard to follow this plot-line with the intensity that would otherwise hold is because Xander is somewhat behind the 8-ball when it comes to development. Since Episode 1, Season 1, Xander has been my favourite character. However, for most of Season 5, he felt like a Commoner in a party of PC characters. I know "Zippo" dealt with this theme brilliantly, as did the one where he was divided, I forget its title, but it doesn't solve the issue that he offers a lot less actively then he did when the whole thing begun, or in Season 2, where he knew how to get a hold of the missle launcher.
His relationship with Anya is of course an important developing theme, and its been slowly being tied directly to his parents problems since the last episode of Season 4, but it still feels a little too cheap and obvious a theme.
I guess my point is: where is Xander going?
Buffy has being a Slayer and an adult to deal with. Willow ahs being a powerful witch and a lesbian to deal with. Giles is getting his own show. Where is Xander in all this exactly? Even Cordellia, his erstwhile equal and nemisis, is getting visions.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
I dunno...I'd be strongly resistant to the idea of Xander getting a supernatural shtick. I think, whatever his pathway, it has to be human.

But, as far as I'm concerned, if Wesley and Gun and Fred can kick demon butt, so can Xander. But he's gotta get shocked out of his shell.

Angelsboi

First Post
Oh please. Xander does have a shtick. he still loves Buffy and he will always be there for her and he DOES fight demons.

Season 5 Quote:
"What about the boy? he doesnt have anything -"
"The boy stays. hes clocked more field time than any of you."

Season 6 Quote:
"One of us has to make money."
"I told you my back is hurt."
"Who's fault is that?"
"Buffy needed help fighting the demon so i helped her!"
"It didnt save her did it?"

Even though we have said the visions were false but they held to Xander Truth, Xander would indeed put his life on the line for Buffy.

Storminator

First Post
This season is all about Giles. What happens to the gang without him? They lose focus and fall apart. There's a lot of clearing the air going on right now, but I suspect that the end of the season is going to go off big time.

Bad guys:
We have Anya.
Where is Amy?
Does Spike go full bad?
The trio is sliding into true evil.

Good guys:
No Giles.
Xander? Anya?
Buffy's the lowest she's been in years.
No magic from Willow.

The end of season 5 had the most powerful evil they've faced, but the Scoobies were at their best. This season, both our heroes and their enemies are smaller, weaker, but I think the confrontation is still going to be intense.

(BTW, why the hell didn't anyone go after Xander? You'd think he'd need his friends just now...)

PS

Shadeus

First Post
In general, I liked this season. The one thing that is somewhat depressing is the reality that is being brought into the series. I have to deal with bills and house payments and insurance in the real world. Now poor Buffy has to deal with it to? What is this world coming to!

Seriously, I think it bogs down the fantasy of the series. I just keep hoping some group, like the Watcher's Counsil or something, will just pay her to kick butt so the whole Double Meat thing can just disappear.

I don't think Anya is big enough to be the Big Bad. She could be a pain, but not the main bad guy. And the three nerds changed a bit. After they killed and almost raped that girl, it was clear that one of them (can't remember his name) was obviously more into the evil aspect than the other two. They are just kind of going with the flow of things...followers. They aren't it either.

I think someone already mentioned what the Big Bad is: Life. The season is about them growing up and confronting real issues beyond the mandatory Armageddon.

What I want to know is...where's the new slayer? I saw an interview with someone (on the Buffy creative team...her name escapes me) and she said that there's no new slayer because Faith is still alive. But that's doesn't follow the history of the series. Remember? Buffy dies and Kendra is called. Buffy, of course, comes back and now there are two slayers. Then Kendra gets killed by Dru and Faith gets called. So clearly if any slayer dies, a new slayer is called...or Faith wouldn't be a slayer. At the end of season 5, Buffy dies. It stands to reason that someone was called to take her place. Are there three slayers now?

DoctorB

First Post
Hoping for the Dark Willow plot

Joss may save this till next season, but I think Willow dealing with magic as an addiction is just an interim story.
I love what they have done with her character in the last year or so. She was such an afterthought for a long time.
I am waiting for her to be forced to use her power to save one of her friends, or lose Tara in a tragic way. Then, she will become Dark Willow and the fun begins.
Maybe season finale?

Storminator

First Post
Shadeus said:

What I want to know is...where's the new slayer? I saw an interview with someone (on the Buffy creative team...her name escapes me) and she said that there's no new slayer because Faith is still alive. But that's doesn't follow the history of the series. Remember? Buffy dies and Kendra is called. Buffy, of course, comes back and now there are two slayers. Then Kendra gets killed by Dru and Faith gets called. So clearly if any slayer dies, a new slayer is called...or Faith wouldn't be a slayer. At the end of season 5, Buffy dies. It stands to reason that someone was called to take her place. Are there three slayers now?

No. When Buffy died the first time, the line of Slayers passed to Kendra, and then to Faith. Buffy's line no longer continues the progression. There's only ever one girl whose death will trigger a new Slayer, and that girl is no longer Buffy.

PS

Angelsboi

First Post
Lets address some isseus shall we? **Warning #4 & #5 are spoilers**

1) PS is right. Season 1 "Prophecy Girl" Buffy drowned but was revived by Xander. Kendra was activated.

Season 2 "Whats My Line" we see Kendra who sees Buffy with Angel and thinks she is a vampire.

Season 2 "Becoming Part 1" Kendra is killed by Drusilla. Faith Activated.

Season 3 "Faith Hope and Trick" we see Faith enter the fray.

Season 3 (Missed the episode) but Faith is put into a Coma.

Season 4 "Last Years Girl" Faith is brought back but flees at the end of "Who Am I?" to LA

Angel Season 2 (Cant remember the title) Faith wreaks Havok in LA but is confronted by Angel

Angel Season 2 (Cant remember the title) Faith turns herself in and is now in prison.

2) Out of the Trio, Warren is the most evil. He knew it was rape and killed his girlfriend. Jonathen and the other guy were wanting to turn themselves in. Warren is the true mastermind.

3) There will be a big bad. We're on like, what, episode 10 or 12? We still have 14 or 12 episodes left and i think this upcoming episode "Sanity" will be key to the season.

4) I know episode 22 is called "Relapse." This could be with 3 People. Willow (relapsing Back into Magic), Anya (Relapses and starts wreaking Vengance) or Buffy (who relapses and finally finds that Death *is* her gift and goes Primeval).

5) As of yet, Tara Benson hasnt signed for Season 7 so it looks like she might be the one biting the dust. Who knows for sure. I hope not but do you honestly think Joss will allow Willow to get Tara back and be all happy? No, this ties to #4 in the fact Tara might die and then BAM! Willow turns to magic again b/c shes tired of all the pain and suffering that has happened.

Florin

First Post
Well, I got into Buffy this year. I've seen most of the earlier episodes, but I haven't been able to catch a lot of this season. I didn't like last night's episode for one simple reason. It left me feeling depressed after it ended. Usually an episode ends with a joke, something else upbeat, or a cliffhanger. This just left me in a grey haze. Buffy may be a drama, but it's always had a strong comical bent to it, and that bent seems to be slowly disappearing this season.

Let's go through the cast roster:
  • Buffy: Unhappy, doesn't feel like she belongs in this world, struggling with life, feels unwanted/unneeded, her mentor left her.
  • Spike: Just got his heartbroken by Buffy, can't hurt humans
  • Willow: Addicted to magic, still broken up with Tara (even though that looks to be changing), has lost her defining quality (magic).
  • Xander: Afraid to marry Anya because he's afraid he'll turn into his father.
  • Anya: Just got left at the alter for a reason that she stands no chance of understanding since she's never had parents or a family.
  • Dawn: She's a teenager, shoplifter, her mom's dead, her sister died to save her, her sister's back, but they're having trouble holding onto the house, etc.

Gee, not a single person happy. Even when Buffy lost Angel and Riley, at least one other member of the cast was happy. I think it is all adding to the listless quality of the season. It really brings me down.

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Florin said:
Usually an episode ends with a joke, something else upbeat, or a cliffhanger

I have developed an almost pavlovian response.

The words "Produced and Directed by Joss Whedon" on a black screen is automatically associated with a stunned feeling.

It may be mad, shocked, hilarious, angry, sad, whatever, but always stunned.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads