• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Delve from Bob World Builder and Others

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
On the upside, I always appreciate previews for these kinds of projects. they let you get an idea of what sort of design is being done, how the book will look and so on. So kudos.

There is a pretty big flaw in the oozing kobold 5E design, though: it blinds an opponent on a total roll of 15 or better (with a +5, so better than a 50% chance), regardless of whether that hits and with no save. That just breaks how 5E works. it isn't well done.

mamba

Legend
Maybe, but KP videos generally get dozens of views, while BWB videos get tens of thousands. My guess is that KP got the vast majority of their backers on Day 1, while BWB will continue to add backers over time because they have a strong platform.
Kobold's is now at slightly over double the first day with two weeks to go, which actually means they had a slow first day / a good tail end. Usually a KS makes about 2 to 2.5 times the first day these days, they are heavily frontloaded.

We will see how that plays out for Bob, the Dungeon Dudes made 459k out of 1065k on their first day, so they were frontloaded...

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
There is a pretty big flaw in the oozing kobold 5E design, though: it blinds an opponent on a total roll of 15 or better (with a +5, so better than a 50% chance), regardless of whether that hits and with no save. That just breaks how 5E works. it isn't well done.
I assume that only works if you hit, and if you actually roll a 15 or higher on the d20, at least that is how I interpret it, the wording could be clearer though

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I assume that only works if you hit, and if you actually roll a 15 or higher on the d20, at least that is how I interpret it, the wording could be clearer though
it certainly doesn't say that. Also, 5E design in particular still asks for saves on hits. I am not saying that design is necessarily bad in general and for Shadowdark, but it ignores a pretty standard design paradigm for 5E.

mamba

Legend
it certainly doesn't say that. Also, 5E design in particular still asks for saves on hits. I am not saying that design is necessarily bad in general and for Shadowdark, but it ignores a pretty standard design paradigm for 5E.
I mean, getting blinded on a miss makes no sense, so it has to hit. Whether it has to be a natural 15+ or this includes the PB might be up to interpretation. It says 'rolled 15 or higher' I take that as the die only, but that is just me. I agree with this usually getting a save however

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I mean, getting blinded on a miss makes no sense, so it has to hit. Whether it has to be a natural 15+ or this includes the PB might be up to interpretation. It says 'rolled 15 or higher' I take that as the die only, but that is just me. I agree with this usually getting a save however
I'm not inclined to give the benefit of the doubt for mechanics. Say what you mean.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How many of these books can the market support? There's literally another one KSing right now and about 1896 available on DRRPG.
There's a new grimdark setting funding every 30 minutes. I think the market can support two very different books on building better dungeons.

The Kobold Press one, if the rest of the series is anything to go by, is going to practically be a college textbook on how to design the heck out of a dungeon, whereas Delve is a bunch of plug and play elements and 10+ premade dungeons. They're serving very different roles.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Shadowdark sample also talks about upcasting spells, which I don't think is a thing in Shadowdark.

That said, the time to point stuff like this out to them is now, so that they can bring in someone with more rules mastery to take a look at the books before they're sent out.

Remove ads