• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My only point (poorly made, I admit) is that many games have solved almost all the "problems" the D&D influencers are trying to provide solutions for their audience. I'm not even saying that the influencers should say "play that game instead." I just think it would be cool, because of the outsized influence of D&D and its social media proponents, if those influencers would acknowledge that these other games exist and are good to mine ideas from.
And if those influencers’ actual goal was to solve those problems, recommending systems that have good solutions for them would be a great way to do it. But their real goal is to drive engagement metrics: view time, repeat views, likes, dislikes, comments, and new subscriptions. A tip 10 list of tips and tricks or suchlike is a more effective way to drive those metrics up than simply pointing the viewer to another resource that has a good solution to the problem.

Oofta

Legend
Given I've seen dozens do that over the years in multiple groups, you're going to have to excuse me if I don't buy I've somehow managed to find the small subset that does that.
I've also played with dozens of people over the years. A lot play board games, very few have played more than a game or two of other simple RPGs, and not on a regular basis.

So who knows. 🤷 it also has nothing to do with my question and lack of examples.

Zardnaar

Legend
And if those influencers’ actual goal was to solve those problems, recommending systems that have good solutions for them would be a great way to do it. But their real goal is to drive engagement metrics: view time, repeat views, likes, dislikes, comments, and new subscriptions. A tip 10 list of tips and tricks or suchlike is a more effective way to drive those metrics up than simply pointing the viewer to another resource that has a good solution to the problem.

Well tgey provably want more views for D&D content. They're under no obligation to do anything really.

Not sure about you but if I watch a D&D streaner I kind of want D&D content.

Pretty much only watch Dungeon dudes with the very occasional treatment, ginny D, or whoever linked something interesting.

I likevtier lists and mechanical discussions OGL drama meh, almost everything else meh.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Out of curiosity, what games can you pick up and run with zero prep work? As in, you pick it up, get people together and then you do all the reading and character creation at the table.
None. You do need to read them. :)

But here's the thing: All of those one-page RPGs are hugely parasitic. They presume you know how to run RPGs, and not only that, know how to run RPGs in their style. Your preparation for them are all the hours you've spent running RPGs before. There are so many issues you'll run into which they don't offer solutions for. If you pick one up as your first RPG, what will the game be like?

If you've never run an investigation before, how good are you going to be at it with no notes?

You see the concerns that D&D doesn't cover basic dungeon-crawling procedures. Now consider how many basic things a one-page RPG leaves out!

This isn't to say they aren't valuable. They certainly are! But the "no prep" comes a lot more from how many other games you've run that match their style.

Cheers,
Merric

MGibster

Legend
Do you really think their job is to teach how to d&d better? An influencer can say their goal is whatever, but like a corporation who has a mission statement to "bring buzzword to generic term", their actual goal is to make the most money possible. And an influencer's primary goal is to win followers, and ideally convert followers into money somehow.
This doesn't make any sense to me. This is like saying it's not Papa John's job to make pizza it's to make money. Every for profit company is trying to make money, so the mission statement isn't so much a goal as it is supposed to give you an idea of what the company does. So, yes, I would argue Ginny Di's job is to help people become better D&D players and that's reflected in her many videos about how to DM, how to create a memorable character, etc., etc.

That said, if I'm tuning in to a YouTube channel about D&D I'm going to be disappointed if they direct me to another game. If Ginny Di is talking about Curse of Strahd and giving me some tips on how to run it, I don't need her to tell me something about FATE, GURPS, or Savage Worlds because I'm playing D&D not one of those games.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
If Ginny Di is talking about Curse of Strahd and giving me some tips on how to run it, I don't need her to tell me something about FATE, GURPS, or Savage Worlds because I'm playing D&D not one of those games.
I don't understand what's so offensive about, "D&D could work better with players being involved in setting creation. One game that does this from the jump is Fate."

Vaalingrade

Legend
Do you really think their job is to teach how to d&d better? An influencer can say their goal is whatever, but like a corporation who has a mission statement to "bring buzzword to generic term", their actual goal is to make the most money possible. And an influencer's primary goal is to win followers, and ideally convert followers into money somehow.
I know a lot of people who would be just as inaccurately called 'influencers' and while some of them are bag or clout chasers, most of them are just out to do the thing they like for a living without being slain by YouTube for whatever arbitrary reason it is this week.

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
This doesn't make any sense to me. This is like saying it's not Papa John's job to make pizza it's to make money.
Well considering you could hardly call that crap "pizza", that does seem like a correct statement that Papa John's job is to make money not pizza. I'm not sure how that relates to Ginny D but just wanted to make fun of Papa Johns

MGibster

Legend
I don't understand what's so offensive about, "D&D could work better with players being involved in setting creation. One game that does this from the jump is Fate."
I'm not sure if offensive is the best choice of words here because I wouldn't be offended just bemused. When I'm watching a video about Call of Cthulhu I don't typically hear about other games unless someone has a reason to compare it to Dungeons & Dragons or another game. I think Seth Skorkowsky compared and contrasted Call of Cthulhu to D&D at some points in his 8 part series about the rules for Call of Cthulhu. But for the most part, he doesn't mention games other than the ones he's talking about whether its Cyberpunk, Call of Cthlhu, or Traveller.

Well considering you could hardly call that crap "pizza", that does seem like a correct statement that Papa John's job is to make money not pizza. I'm not sure how that relates to Ginny D but just wanted to make fun of Papa Johns
I thought about that when I typed it out. But then I thought to myself, "Nah, they'll just appreciate the analogy and won't focus on Papa Johns' crummy pizza."

Remove ads