• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yuan Ti and allies thread (Ti-Khana critters)

Cleon

Legend
I've got a rough idea for the statblock but don't have time to type it out now.

Okay, I've typed it out.

Ti-khana Deinonychus
Medium beast (shapechanger), neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 33 (6d8 + 6)
Speed 40 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
15 (+2)​
17 (+3)​
12 (+1)​
6 (–2)​
13 (+1)​
10 (+0)​

Skills Acrobatics +5, Perception +3, Stealth +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages
Challenge 2 (450 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Shapechanger. The ti-khana deinonychus can use its action to polymorph into a Medium snake, or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It doesn't change form if it dies.

Innate Spellcasting (Deinonychus Form Only). The ti-khana deinonychus's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 10). The ti-khana can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

• At will: detect magic
  • 3/day: poison spray?
Magic Resistance. The ti-khana has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Keen Smell. The ti-khana deinonychus has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Pack Tactics. The ti-khana deinonychus has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the deinonychus’ allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.

Pounce. If the ti-khana deinonychus moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a talon attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the deinonychus can make one bite attack and one claws attack against it as a bonus action.

Rush (3/day). As a bonus action, the ti-khana deinonychus can take the Dash action.

Actions

Multiattack (Deinonychus Form Only). The ti-khana deinonychus makes two attacks: one with its claws and one with a bite or talon.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage plus 5 (2d4) poison damage.

Claws (Deinonychus Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage.

Talon (Deinonychus Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Psychic Attack?. ???.
 ???.

Description

???.
 ???.
Subsection. ???.
 ???.

Subsection. ???.
 ???.

(Based on a monster from the Fiend Folio (2003).)

This is a pretty faithful translation of the 3E version.

I gave it poison spray as a substitute for the original's psionic (avoidance) attack, but am thinking it might be nicer to give it some sort of Psychic Attack instead. Maybe have it do psychic damage plus a round of herpephobia on a failed Intelligence or Wisdom saving throw?

How about the following:

Mindfang (Recharge 5-6). The ti-khana deinonychus targets one creature it can see within 100 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 10 Intelligence saving throw or take 13 (2d12) psychic damage and be frightened of anything reptilian for 5 (1d10) rounds; as well as actual reptiles like snakes, lizards, yuan-ti and dinosaurs, this fear encompasses scaled monster that resemble reptiles or have reptilian features such as a dragonne or chimera. On a success, the target takes half damage and is not frightened. A frightened target can also repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it.​

I've left in all of the abilities of the 3E Ti-khana & Deinonychus plus the 5E Deinonychus, but I feel it makes it a bit unwieldy and am wondering about cutting a few of them out. Does it really need Dash or Darkvision, for example?

The original ti-khana could shapechange into a viper between Tiny and Large size, so I am tempted to make it shapechange into a Tiny Poisonous Snake rather than a Medium one. That allows its Yuan-ti masters to wear them like a bracelet or necklace as a "surprise" for their enemies.

I'm also wondering about it reverting to dinosaur form if it dies like a standard shapeshifter rather than staying a snake like a yuan-ti, since they aren't as "truly snakey" as those serpent people.

Shapechanger #2. The ti-khana deinonychus can use its action to polymorph into a Tiny snake, or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It doesn't change form if it dies.​
Shapechanger #3. The ti-khana deinonychus can use its action to polymorph into a Tiny snake, or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.​

Which do you prefer?

Cleon

Legend
Incidentally, I was tempted to lower the Intelligence to 4 but left it at 6 like the version you posted.

It's a magically augmented beastie so could be unnaturally smart, after all.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Incidentally, I was tempted to lower the Intelligence to 4 but left it at 6 like the version you posted.

It's a magically augmented beastie so could be unnaturally smart, after all.
agree - I think teh gist was that they had increased intelligence. So far only has one spell - do you like idea of mindsliver too or leave it.

Attachments

• tikhanadeino2.png
    tikhanadeino2.png
    770.1 KB · Views: 213

Cleon

Legend
agree - I think teh gist was that they had increased intelligence. So far only has one spell - do you like idea of mindsliver too or leave it.

There doesn't seem to be much point giving it two psionic damage ranged attacks.

Besides, the Mindsliver is missing some important info like whether it needs a hit roll, saving throw, and what range it is. That isn't a spell in the SRD so it'd need more details if you want to leave it in.

Oh, and do you think (Recharge 5-6) is enough for the Mindfang? I dithered about making it Recharge 4-6 instead, or perhaps even 3-6?

Remove ads