• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC hinting heavily that Tuque Games D&D game will be revealed at the Game Awards Show

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Exactly, there are tons these already, none if them are good, it was a bad call.

Several of those games were actually quite good; MMOs aren't for me but I know a lot of folks who swear by DDO; Daggerdale was fun if not spectacular; the Dark Alliance games were very, very good.

Also for a good chunk of the 90's D&D games were first person dungeon crawls, many of which were also very very good.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The long line of failed "D&D" with the D&D as just a glorified skin on the game says otherwise. Know... Your... Market. There is only a small overlap between D&D and ARPG/idle clicker/insert crappy D&D game here fans, which why stuff like Kingmaker, Neverwinter 2, Icewind Dale 2, BG 2, succeed. There is more D&D in Solasta's short demo then there will be in all of Dark Alliance. That is fact. But I sincerely hope you enjoy DA.
Lol the BG: DA games were both successful, and very very good.

DDO and Neverwinter Online are both very good and very successful MMOs. DDO especially is still fun after 15 years or whatever, and still feels like playing dnd.

Idle Champions of The Forgotten Realms is a hugely successful idle clicker.

There are a lot of action RPGs because people like that style of gameplay. If this game has leveling, customization, loot, and a decent story, it will be just as much a dnd game as any other.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I can tell what genre it is, it fails on that criteria alone, I need no other reason. IMHO The only acceptable genres for D&D video games are TB CRPG, RTwP CRPG, TB 4x with RPG elements. That is all.
Seems a little limited. While I love the baldurs gate and icewind dale games, I also loved the action of the PlayStation games. I've also played the old shadows of mystara games that were also pretty cool.

If a developer just ripped off Rocksteady's engine from the Batman "Arkham" games and added a D&D motif with co-op, I'd be all in for that.

I would say it is the level design, rather than the engine, that makes the Arkham games so good. Which is why you can't just hire any random development team and expect them to produce something great. Designing a great game requires talent, flair and dedication, not a game engine, an IP and money.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I don't disagree with any of that, but I think there are a lot of unreasonable expectations in this thread. If this turns out to be a solid C title that doesn't overstay it's welcome and is elevated by co-op play, I'd consider that a win.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I don't disagree with any of that, but I think there are a lot of unreasonable expectations in this thread. If this turns out to be a solid C title that doesn't overstay it's welcome and is elevated by co-op play, I'd consider that a win.
Actually, I understand this. As much as I would like to see a high-quality D&D videogame in a new era, I think that a few failures may be required beforehand. Even if the game is as fun as, say, [insert C game here], it will still be a 'success'.

Remove ads