• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizards and bonus actions - not just for bonus action casting cost spells?

jgsugden

Legend
How are wizards of various levels using their bonus actions? I know there is a no built in expectation that you'll always have a good use for a bonus action, but some character builds (rogues, multi-weapon melee, etc...) tend to use them every round. This is an attempt to discover if any wizards are using their bonus actions all the time.

Bonus action to cast spells: When a wizard casts a spell that has a bonus action as the casting time, the only other spell he can cast that turn is a cantrip. This limitation is a bit hefty and reduces how often you'll want to use those bonus action casting time spells (although they can still be quite useful). While you may cast a bonus action spell once or twice in a combat, it won't be something you do every round, generally (although there are builds using weapons, etc... that might do it far more often).

Directing spells: Certain ongoing spells need to be / can be directed using a bonus action. For example, Flaming Spheres can be directed to move using a bonusaction. Which spells do wizards use often that utilize their bonus actions?

Other bonus action uses: What other things do wizards do on a regular basis that utilize their bonus actions? Are there magic items in the DMG they end up using, for example? Do a lot of wizards multiclass in order to grab a benefit that utilizes a bonus action? Is there a commonly taken feat using that bonus action that a lot of wizards take? An item of use to wizards that makes use of bonus actions?

Last edited:

Relic Dice

First Post
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]
I'm afraid I don't remember why you cannot cast a spell with a bonus action as it's casting time, and then cast a non-cantrip spell (such as Fly). Where does it say you can only cast a cantrip?

And usually, wizards don't use their bonus actions unless they multi-class they started out as a Rouge before going into wizard. Even if they did, redirecting spells is probably the best thing they can do with it.

Shiroiken

Legend
Bonus actions are just a bonus. Most characters I've seen don't use one every round. Many characters use them occasionally, but only a few focus on them.

seebs

Adventurer
There is an interesting quirk introduced by the fact that there is no standard action of "do something that would otherwise require a bonus action". In general, bonus actions are faster than other things, but they're mutually-exclusive. So if you have two options, which are both bonus actions, you can only do one in a round. Even though you could do either of them in tandem with a normal action. Whereas if one of them is a normal action, you can do both of those two options, but one of them can't be done along with, say, "attack".

jgsugden

Legend
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]
I'm afraid I don't remember why you cannot cast a spell with a bonus action as it's casting time, and then cast a non-cantrip spell (such as Fly). Where does it say you can only cast a cantrip?
PHB, pg 202, Bonus Action paragraph.
And usually, wizards don't use their bonus actions unless they multi-class they started out as a Rouge before going into wizard. Even if they did, redirecting spells is probably the best thing they can do with it.
As with the others in this thread - yes, I agree that wizards rarely use their bonus actions. What I'm looking for here are the things that fit into that 'rarely'. I started off noting that there is no built in expectation that the bonus gets used - and that this is an attempt to discover if any wizards are finding regular and useful ways to utilize their bonus.

For example, I have seen one wizard use Flaming Sphere a lot. It is a 2nd level spell that only does 2d6, but it can do so multiple times in a round - and up to twice per round for one target for up to 1 minute. Theoretically, up to 40d6 versus a single target - 140 damage from a 2nd level spell. However unless you have a target that is stuck in a contained space, you'll need to move that sphere a lot to deal more than 2d6 to that target. That is a good use of bonus actions and it might be a situation where the PC is willing to do it round after round. (Sidetrack - High level game - I watched someone combine Forcecage with this spell cast at high level to deal - hilarious).

In other words - we don't need to rehash that bonus actions are not expected to be used or that they often go unused.

CapnZapp

Legend
Bonus actions are just a bonus. Most characters I've seen don't use one every round. Many characters use them occasionally, but only a few focus on them.

Nah. If you want to step up your game, try to use your bonus action every round.

And try to use your reaction every round.

For a weapon user character, that can almost double your damage output. (Instead of doing two attacks per round, you just made four)

For spellcasters, the gains are much less pronounced and difficult to quantify.

Still, more is more.

Each action (action, bonus action, reaction) you don't use is, well, an unused action.

BoldItalic

First Post
Expeditious Retreat can be useful, not just for running away (when you may need to use your action to disengage) but for giving chase; (Mass) Healing Word can be a lifesaver in the middle of a busy combat; Misty Step is good sometimes, too, in a tight corner. These are all V type spells, so you can just shout them out while your hands are busy doing other things.

pukunui

Legend
In other words - we don't need to rehash that bonus actions are not expected to be used or that they often go unused.
Just to be clear, by RAW, you don't actually *have* a bonus action unless you have an ability that grants one. Bonus action =/= minor action from previous editions. It's not a slot just waiting to be filled. So saying that you know bonus actions aren't expected to be used all the time is inaccurate, because it's entirely possible that some characters simply don't have one to use much of the time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads