D&D 1E Which NEW class from a Dragon Magazine did you play or allow ?

I liked the concept of Jester (stealth + arcane), battle dancer (capoeira martial-artist, now it would be a monk subclass) and the urban druid (perfect if your monster ally is a construct).

We had a samurai and an anti-paladin in our 1e games. We're using the variant monk in our 2e game now. I seem to recall using one of the bard variants too.

RogueRonin

Explorer
One of my players used the Fiend Slayer prestige class from Dragon #287. I believe it was written by Monte Cook. I ran that campaign at an after school club and it lasted all four years of high school. That character was a Ranger/Rogue/Fiend Slayer, and made it all the way to level 20, one of only 3 characters that made it. This was the early 00's, when Legolas from the LotR films was the peak of hotness, and this character was basically a grimdark version of him. Good times!

I had a player try out the Jester class. It was fun enough - the taunting ability was a good one when paired with a high, er, low AC.

Not an NPC class, but I wish I had known about the Bard alternate version back in the day. Would've used that in a heartbeat. Would've saved me the long ordeal my one character had to go through to become a bard.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
After all, there's not much point giving XP progressions for classes reserved for NPC's.

I need to brush up on my AD&D 1E/2E-isms, but wasn't that a thing for NPCs though? I seem to recall that, when they participated in battle alongside PCs, they were supposed to receive a cut of the XP also, gaining levels periodically, etc. It wasn't something the DM was just supposed to hand-wave, once they were part of the party, at least according to the rulebooks, and that's why those NPC classes had their own XP tables.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads