• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's on YOUR campaign's calendar?

Proposed New Calendar Would Make Time Rational | Wired Science | Wired.com

I feel all big-brained now because I proposed using a very similar calendar for game use in this thing I wrote on calendars many moons ago: Calendars Mostly I said to stick close to the real world Gregorian calendar because players just aren't going to care enough to bother with anything particularly creative, but also said to simplify the real-world calendar to save yourself the headaches of tracking the wierdness (take that leap-year thing and just stuff it).

In the real world I wouldn't mind at all using a new, simpler, more regular more predicatable calendar, but honestly I don't see that adding a full week every 5-6 years is the way to go about it. I personally would think that just continuing to use February to add a day to as needed to keep the calendar in sync with the Earths motion around the sun would be far better. However you do it the Gregorian calendar COULD do with another round of tweaking to eliminate some of the modern problems that have arisen from its use.

The real problem though is less about how to arrange the calendar but how to get it ADOPTED by everyone in the world who currently uses the Gregorian calendar. Like that's gonna happen. How many gadzillions of dollars did the world spend pointlessly making sure that "00" wasn't going to totally hose the world economy and make planes fall out of the sky on new years eve? Now someone thinks we should go do that all again - only this time replace the software and mechanics on every wristwatch, wall clock, atomic clock, cellphone, iPad, desktop PC, DVR, refrigerator clock, digital camera, and on and on and ON... Every device in the world that tracks the calendar would have to have new software, firmware, eproms, or rebuilt gearworks - or else become a useless curiosity.

Who knows? In 10 years that might actually be possible. Right now it's so ludicrous only an intellectual could think of it.

Stormonu

Legend
We can't even get America to switch over from the English system of measurements to metric. You think people are going to change their calendars?

Although, I for one, would like to see Daylight Savings have a bullet put through it's head.

Personally, I'd like to go to a calendar with 12 months with 6 day weeks. All months would be 30 days long. You'd work 4 days, get 2 off. Every 3 months, there would be a floating day that shows up that isn't part of any month (in the game world I use this for, it's a festival day - the same is done with Greyhawk's calendar).

Remove ads