• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E What would you bring from PF2e to your 5e game?

I'll be using some combination of 5e resistance and PF2 magic weapon resistance. While I like the half damage resistance for elements and such in 5e, I f***ing hate the magic weapon resistance of 5e. When the creature has it, the PCs have magic weapons, making it useless. It's just boring all or nothing.

I really, really want to implement the weapon traits to 5e. A bit worried about damage increase. But not as worried as I am regarding increased damage from magic weapons, that I really, really want to import. We love rolling lots of damage dice. But I'm almost positive damage in 5e will go through the roof and lack the experience with 5e to firmly analyze it.

In fact, I'd like to import treasure and magic items and equipment wholesale. It would solve one of 5e's (imo) issues - what to spend your gold on.

I'm also considering 3 saves and proficiency from PF2. That would solve another one of 5e's problems, imo.

MarkB

Legend
Racial/ancestry feats. I don't want gnomes always as bard, illusionist or rogues. To replace the racial traits with a optional list of ancestry feats would help.
You could go with alternate subraces. That's how Eberron implemented Dragonmarks, and it works nicely to open up different race/class combos.

Alternate subraces was in 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, and there was an Class Act article from Dragon Magazine #341 about "martial cultures" with optional list of racial traits to play "primal fighter" classes (rangers and barbarians) with other races. (I liked it more than the racial traits for gnomes in the core).

JeffB

Legend
64 page softcover adventure books.
DM book full of optional rules and tools.

Mechanically- I like the new crit system- but due to bounded accuracy, not sure it would be worth a darn in 5E.

3 action economy, like A/D for 5E, is probably going to be it's mechanical claim to fame. But I don't care for the way PF/3E have ever handled multiple attacks on a round (always incurring a significant penalty to the roll).- un-fun- just like 3.x threat/crits.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
If I ever run 5th Edition again I will steal the way Stealth and Perception work and secret rolls for Perception, Knowledge checks, and Stealth. Probably also moving Perception, Insight, and Investigation into a separate proficiency everyone gets and some classes get expertise in.

I'm planning to start a campaign soon and want to propose using the initiative is a skill check that depends on what the characters are doing at the time
I like that too.

I was just looking at the 3 action economy from Pathfinder Unchained for the first time.
Can anyone tell me why they wouldn't work almost seamlessly in 5e?

Yaarel

He-Mage
I was just looking at the 3 action economy from Pathfinder Unchained for the first time.
Can anyone tell me why they wouldn't work almost seamlessly in 5e?
A P2 ‘spell’ normally uses up two of the three actions. So a direct import into 5e would effectively give noncasters a free extra action, while punishing all casters. Oppositely, two spells per round can result in overpowered combos.

Also, multiple attacks gained while leveling interact with the 3 actions, somewhat awkwardly.

Yaarel

He-Mage
What I envy most about Pathfinder2, is the ease of customizing a character creation, by swapping features in and out, to build a concept that is accurate at level 1.

WANT THIS!!!!!!!

A P2 ‘spell’ normally uses up two of the three actions. So a direct import into 5e would effectively give noncasters a free extra action, while punishing all casters. Oppositely, two spells per round can result in overpowered combos.

Also, multiple attacks gained while leveling interact with the 3 actions, somewhat awkwardly.
I was talking about the PF1 Unchained 3 action economy, not the PF2 one (crazy sentence! 🤣)

Remove ads