• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What programming/tools should I learn?

Errant

First Post
I have an idea for a program...

What I'd like to do is put something together that lets me combine a selection of tables & randomly combine one entry from each table so as to produce a random sentence, paragraph, or description.

That way I can combine things like height, weight, appearance, & mannerism adjectives to create random NPC descriptions & so forth.

Unfortunately, my programming skills are virtually non-existant, so I need to learn a programming language or tool of some sort.

Can anyone give me any suggestions so I don't have to waste my time experimentating?

Errant

First Post
Excell can combine inserts from the tables into a line of text? I had no idea. I guess thats obvious though.

Thanks CRG. Any suggestions on a book that'll help me master Excell?

Luke

Explorer
Errant said:
Can anyone give me any suggestions so I don't have to waste my time experimentating?

If you developed this application, along with other excellent features, and a scripting language that made it very, very flexible, you would have...

"TableSmith", by Bruce Gulke.

It does all this, provides you with some 300+ generators, and allows you to create your own.

Regards,

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Errant said:
Excell can combine inserts from the tables into a line of text? I had no idea. I guess thats obvious though.

Thanks CRG. Any suggestions on a book that'll help me master Excell?

If you think you can learn a very basic scripting language, go with TableSmith. If not, use Excel - just type:

Code:
------------------------------------
| 1 | Clumsy    | Tall              |
| 2 | Excitable | Thin             |
| 3 | Surly       | Overweight |
etc.

Once this is done, someone with basic Excel knowledge can turn this into a generator in a few minutes (so you don't have to learn anything).

Errant

First Post
Thanks folks, I'll have a play around with TableSmith first (since that seem custom built for my goal, at first glance anyway) & then Excell if I don't like TableSmith.

Colour me appreciative :D

Remove ads