• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What etiquette rules do we assume is common in the community?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Inspired by another thread on "what homebrew rules do we assume is common in the community", I thought it would be interested to learn what the community think are common rules of etiquette at TTRPG tables. Rules of etiquette tend to be unspoken and often assumed but can be drastically different in different communities and at different tables. I'm sure some of us have had a bit of culture shock when playing with entirely new groups of people. Some questions to spawn discussion:
  • Are there certain rules of etiquette that you not only assume but, if broken, would cause you leave the game if broken?
  • Do you have any stories of joining a table that had very different rules of etiquette than you were used to? These can be horror stories or, perhaps more interesting, situations where it was a positive eye opener or refreshing change.
  • Are there common rules of etiquette that chafe you? Expectations that you find to be common but annoying or overly constricting?
If you are comfortable with discussing it, it would be interesting if you posted where you are from and the types of people you tend to play with. I would expect that etiquette will differ among different demographics, but perhaps there are certain somewhat universal gold rules.

MNblockhead

For my answer, the closest I can come to universal rules of etiquette are:
  • Don't be a jerk. By which I think for nearly all tables means don't attack or belittle other players or aggressively argue with the DM and other players.

• Practice decent hygiene.
Not that these are not ever broken, but I think that while many of us have stories of these rules being broken, that these are usually told as horror stories and I've never seen anyone defending this behavior, beyond perhaps excusing it due to someone having a bad day or mental health issues.

Examples of etiquette that seem to be strongly enforced at some tables and not at all at other tables...
  • Don't use someone else's dice without asking. I've met some players that simply will not let other people use their dice or at least certain dice. Always felt it was a little weird, but I do follow the general rule of etiquette of not grabbing other people's stuff without asking first.

• No electronics at the table. Differs table by table, but at some tables it is seen as a strong breach of etiquette to be looking at your phone during the game. I'm of a generation where I admit to a kneejerk negative reaction when people keep glancing at their phones during meetings, meals, or at games, but my current group is pretty laid back about it, we all have families and may have to interrupt the game so someone can take a call or respond to a text, but we try to keep it to minimum.
One rule of etiquette that I enforce at my table is no politics. I find that this is very much not the norm, but I also have noticed that the tables where this is tolerated and doesn't cause issue is because the group is very similar in their political and religious believes and the comments are generally quick asides. I ban it not just to avoid arguments. In my experience, political discussion can easily go into a long tangent that eats away at game time. Even when people are in agreement, it can lead to 20 minutes or more of discussion. I don't care what the topic is or what side someone is on an issue. I may be 100% in agreement with them. But I have one time a month I can run my game and I get enough politics in my life. I don't think it is too much to ask people to just shut up about politics for a few hours once a month. I'll not reinvite people to my game over this. Which is probably a bit harsh compared to the norm and can be a shock to new or guest players once they realize that I'm serious about it.

As a background to my answer, I'm American from the midwest (Twin Cities area, Minnesota). Started playing in the 80s. My childhood groups were mostly Caucasian and a few Asian mid-westerners. Apparently uncommon for that era, we had a lot of girls in our gaming groups. Maybe not 50/50, but there were always a couple girls at our table. Most of us were either standard 80s nerds or theater kids. Dropped out of the hobby for a couple decades and got back into TTRPGs in 2014/15. My main D&D group is all Caucasian, one woman and 3-6 men (3 who attend regularly and a few who drop in for a session when they can). A couple ex-military guys, some people in IT, someone that works at a prison, a furniture maker, a carpenter and another is a controls engineer.

I work outside of the US much of the year with an extremely diverse group of colleagues from many different countries, mostly from Europe and the Mideast. We play board games together but no TTRPGs. The party game Werewolf [not the WoD TTRPG] is the closest I've come to a role-paying game with them. Beyond that I've played in some Adventure's League games and have gone to Con of the North a few times, but I don't do a lot of gaming at conventions or game stores.

MNblockhead

Which community?
You decide. I mainly play D&D. At some convention games I've noted some differences with different types of games. InSPECTREs and Paranoia tables tend to have different expectations of behavior over, say Dialect or Alice is Missing. I believe that has much to due with the systems and stories themselves, but different games also attract different types of people.

Group, regional, national, even family cultures can result in different rules of etiquette. Most are not going to be gaming specific. But I do think that certain TTRPG-specific, or at least certain game-specific, rules of etiquette evolve. I've never played Vampire the Masquerade, but from stories I've heard from friends, the rules of etiquette (especially from the more LARP-style version of the game my friends played in the early 90s) can be quite different from what I see at most DnD tables I've played at.

aramis erak

Legend
Inspired by another thread on "what homebrew rules do we assume is common in the community", I thought it would be interested to learn what the community think are common rules of etiquette at TTRPG tables. Rules of etiquette tend to be unspoken and often assumed but can be drastically different in different communities and at different tables. I'm sure some of us have had a bit of culture shock when playing with entirely new groups of people. Some questions to spawn discussion:
  • Are there certain rules of etiquette that you not only assume but, if broken, would cause you leave the game if broken?
My expectations, and I do reiterate them to players at times...
  • If you're not there to game, don't interrupt play. That includes chatting away during others turns.
  • Don't eat fish, shrimp, or peanuts at games in store. (Quite capable of triggering airborne allergies).
  • No snacks that leave particles or grease on hands when anywhere near books.
  • Have bathed in the last week.
    Don't wear heavy fragrances.
  • Put things back after session.
  • If you spilled, clean it up. Immediately.
  • No smoking at game.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The number one rule in games that I run, regardless of genre or milieu, is:

NO overt sex acts described in-game. None. Period. Never.

And in games that I'm not running, the inclusion of such very possibly will lead me to leave the game. Call me a prude, but I don't think shared RPG space is the place for acting out sexual fantasies unless (and this is a VERY big if) all parties are on-board.

MNblockhead

Dont be a dick?
Yeah pretty universal, though the edge cases of what constitutes being a jerk likely varies quite a bit from group to group.
Bring snacks that you can share?
Seems to be the assumption in home games. Not convention games.

One thing I miss most about playing in person is the sessions where we did a potluck.

MNblockhead

My expectations, and I do reiterate them to players at times...
  • Don't eat fish, shrimp, or peanuts at games in store. (Quite capable of triggering airborne allergies).
Definitely something that would have to be stated up front. I've never been to FLGS that enforced such rules. The ban on nuts, peanut butter, etc. at my sons' elementary and middle school were quite contentious.

• No snacks that leave particles or grease on hands when anywhere near books.
In my home game, I'm pretty precious about my books, but if players don't mind stains on theirs, that's their decision. I think this would be difficult to enforce in a convention game.

• Don't wear heavy fragrances.
Man, I think I would suffer in silence rather than try to comment on this, much less enforce it.

• No smoking at game.
Do you allow smoke breaks?

MNblockhead

The number one rule in games that I run, regardless of genre or milieu, is:

NO overt sex acts described in-game. None. Period. Never.

And in games that I'm not running, the inclusion of such very possibly will lead me to leave the game. Call me a prude, but I don't think shared RPG space is the place for acting out sexual fantasies unless (and this is a VERY big if) all parties are on-board.
I follow this as a personal rule of my own playing whenever I'm playing in a convention game or joining a new table.
In my regular game we have some of this in the game. Not described, more of a fade to black. We do engage in some lewd jokes from time to time that would be completely inappropriate outside of group that you know very well.

Remove ads