• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What A5E rules do you intend to import into an existing 5E campaign?

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Best incremental rule to add:
- A character takes a level of exhaustion when dropped to 0 hp

...also, I like the prestige check a lot, and different types of initiative rolls!
I found this too death spiral-ey since 5e just has Exhaustion, rather than Fatigue & Strife (two tracks means it's less dire but still hampering).
For my 5e games I houseruled DC15 Con when reduced to zero hitpoints to avoid a level of exhaustion. IMO it's a good middle-ground. It's easier for martials and tough characters, and it's always good for martials to get another tick in their favor in their losing battle vs caster balance.

Now I think about it, maybe DC 1/2 damage that dropped you to (min DC10) would be a better long-term rule.
Or maybe using a5e's instant death/megadamage rules?

I found this too death spiral-ey since 5e just has Exhaustion, rather than Fatigue & Strife (two tracks means it's less dire but still hampering).
For my 5e games I houseruled DC15 Con when reduced to zero hitpoints to avoid a level of exhaustion. IMO it's a good middle-ground. It's easier for martials and tough characters, and it's always good for martials to get another tick in their favor in their losing battle vs caster balance.

Now I think about it, maybe DC 1/2 damage that dropped you to (min DC10) would be a better long-term rule.
Or maybe using a5e's instant death/megadamage rules?
So basically like a save to maintain concentration, in order to avoid a level of Exhaustion. Interesting idea. I do like the penalty for getting dropped to 0, but weakening it a bit in 5e may be called for.

Remove ads