• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Vecna Eve of Ruin: Everything You Need To Know

WotC has posted a video telling you 'everything you need to know' about Vecna: Eve Of Ruin.

WotC has posted a 19-minute video telling you 'everything you need to know' about Vecna: Eve Of Ruin.
  • Starts at 10th level, goes to 20th.
  • Classic villains and setting, famous characters, D&D's legacy.
  • Vecna wants to become the supreme being of the multiverse.
  • Vecna is a god of secrets and secrets and the power of secrets are a theme throughout the book.
  • A mechanical subsystem for using the power of secrets during combat.
  • Going back to Ravenloft, the Nine Hells, places where 5th Edition has been in the last 10 years.
  • It would be a fun 'meta experience' for players to visit locations they remember lore about.
  • Finding pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts, pieces throughout the multiverse.
  • Each piece in one of seven distinct planes or settings.
  • Allustriel Silverhand has noticed something is wrong, puts call out to Tasha and Mordenkainen, who come to her sanctum in Sigil.
  • The (10th level) PCs are fated to confront Vecna.
  • Lord Soth and Strahd show up. Tiamat is mentioned but doesn't appear 'on screen'.
  • Twists, turns, spoilers.
  • It's a 'love letter to D&D'.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.01.41.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.01.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.04.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.03.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.06.12.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.06.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.07.24.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.08.29.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.09.26.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.10.02.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.10.52.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.13.06.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.18.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.21.31.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.22.34.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.27.33.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.28.15.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.29.02.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.30.14.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.31.45.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.31.14.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.33.25.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.34.07.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.36.02.png

I thought SKT was directly inspired by AtG. It certainly follows a similar pattern of battling your way up the ranks through each giant type.

A lot of 5e adventures were "love letters" to older adventures. Those old adventures were definitely the starting premise for a lot of 5e adventures- "ok what old adventure will we use as source inspiration to built atop?"
SKT doesn't have you fight your way up each giant type. The DM/group chooses one type, and that's all you need to do before returning to the storm giants. You can complete the adventure without fighting a single hill, frost, or fire gaint.

Voadam

Legend
Because it existed for decades before D&D, wasn't created for the purpose of gaming adventure, is now used by Goodman Games.
It's like saying Arkham is a D&D setting because there was once a d20 Call of Cthulhu game.
I would say that Lankhmar is part of the Dungeon Crawl Classics tradition too even though Lankhmar "existed for decades before [and] wasn't created for the purpose of gaming adventure"

The Savage Worlds tradition as well.

I didn't have the d20 version but using the Cthulhu mythos gods and monsters from 1e Deities & Demigods in D&D seems fully within the D&D tradition to me.

The D&D tradition has a big foundation of using stuff that existed for decades before and wasn't created for purposes of gaming adventure.

Retreater

Legend
Your understanding of "retread of a previous adventure" is clearly slightly broader than mine, which is fine. That still leaves at least Lost Mine of Phandelver, Out of the Abyss, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, Candlekeep Mysteries, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, Call of the Netherdeep, Journeys through the Radiant Citadel and Keys From the Golden Vault.

So how is that "nearly every adventure produced" being a retread?
Candlekeep, Radiant Citadel, and Golden Vault are anthologies of tiny adventure sites; I'm not counting lairs or 5-room dungeons as entire adventures ... unless we want to look through hundreds (thousands?) of Dungeon magazine mini-sites to see if they're retreading ground?

Netherdeep is a Critical Role production, not actually written by WotC.

But, yeah, I'll grant you that there are a few adventures of original content. But they're regarded as pretty terrible (Dragon Heist, Avernus), so I doubt there will be a lasting impact on D&D history.

The best reviewed and most played adventure is Curse of Strahd, followed by Phandelver (the starter box adventure, released 10 years ago). That's hardly a great legacy of content for the entire edition.

Find me that "original to 5e" adventure that will be put on a Top 50 adventures of all-time list. Find me an original to 5e campaign setting that will be revisited in 10 years.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
The best reviewed and most played adventure is Curse of Strahd, followed by Phandelver (the starter box adventure, released 10 years ago). That's hardly a great legacy of content for the entire edition.

Find me that "original to 5e" adventure that will be put on a Top 50 adventures of all-time list.
I'm thinking you answered one of your own questions there. I strongly suspect that Lost Mine of Phandelver will easily make the cut for the top 50 adventures of all-time list.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm thinking you answered one of your own questions there. I strongly suspect that Lost Mine of Phandelver will easily make the cut for the top 50 adventures of all-time list.
It's very good, true. Unfortunately, probably the only original to WotC 5e adventure that meets that bar.

Giants are attacking unprovoked because the Ordening has been disrupted by an outside force, so the parties must go to a Hill Giant Steading, a Frost Giant Jarl's glacial Palace, and a Fire Giants volcanic fortress, using different devices to teleport between them?
Sounds kinda like Against the Giants. At least that's how I read it.
Did you not read the adventure, cause that's not how the adventure works.

You generally only take on one type of Giant's fortress for one.

mamba

Legend
Honestly not really. Temple of Elemental Evil despite the name had shockingly little to do with Elemental Evil. Like the main villain is Zuggtmoy
yeah, how Zug ended up in there is anyone's guess, From what I heard that was not Gary's idea, but he was too busy with other stuff to focus on that adventure, so someone else finished it

Remove ads

Remove ads