• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
Vecna: Eve of Ruin

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming May 21st!

Does anyone know what the symbols mean? I assume that the outer symbols are for each of the settings (any guesses which are which?), and I think one of the Inner ones is Bhaals symbols whivh suggests the other two are Gods that ally themselves to Vecna, but who?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Why make one disappointing gazetteer when you can make seven?

Snark aside, they haven't published anything for Greyhawk (in this current edition) and I can't see just their typical "mini-gazetteer in the beginning of the book" being adequate. Dragonlance fans weren't happy with how much War of the Dragon Queen glossed over the setting, I'm sure the Greyhawk fans won't be if if gets similar treatment.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Planescape and Spelljammer really just names given to concepts? Should they really classify as separate settings?
good catch! I actually philosophically integrate SJ with PS, they are not so much settings as vehicles to settings

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
People gotta stop accusing art of being AI.

Your other point, OTOH, I think has a point. These covers could be a WHOLE lot better than they are. There's not enough going on in either of them, IMO.
WotC also just had a big lay-off and their art budget probably got slashed. I think we should consider ourselves fortunate we are even getting printed books at this point..

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Does anyone know what the symbols mean? I assume that the outer symbols are for each of the settings (any guesses which are which?), and I think one of the Inner ones is Bhaals symbols whivh suggests the other two are Gods that ally themselves to Vecna, but who?
The three in the middle are probably the Dead Three - Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul.

The seven other symbols are probably NOT the worlds, but the pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I like them! The FLGS cover is stunning, I hope it gets that soft-touch Matte feel to it
You are, of course, free to like them! I think the design work in the FLGS cover is nice, but the hand is only... meh. Maybe if Vecna's face was behind the hand I'd like it more. The "regular" cover just looks kind of muddied to me, and all those swirls just fill the space without saying anything. I'd like it more if the Vecna was zoomed forward a bit, but it's not a particularly great picture of him either, so... they're fine, but they're not great.

The upper right one is the symbol for the Curse of Strahd campaign and tie-ins. As they used the Bhaal symbol for the Descent to Avernus and tie-ins, I'm assuming all three are campaign tie-ins. I think the third was the Spelljammer one, but I'm not sure (the DMs Guild has all the symbols up to Icewind Dale). Backing me up on this is that the regular cover shows three scenes in the crystals - the two in the front are (presumably) Castle Ravenloft and a Spelljamming ship, while the one on the back seems to be Avernus. I'm guessing those three are going to be of particular importance in the campaign.

EDIT: Yep, pulling out my Spelljammer set shows that lower symbol on the books. So, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Descent to Avernus are going to be important in this adventure.

Remove ads