• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Using "D&D 2024" instead of "5e24"

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Too obvious. Other RPG designers and D&D haters wouldn't found it by now if it was there.

I think it's in Japan. The CoC loving Japanese won't look for it out of fear.
That and the giant robot guarding it. Which may or may not be a robotic shell covering an alien creature and containing the souls of former designers.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
'5e24' has slipped right under my radar! I've not come across that term myself.

I agree with the premise that there's a meaningful difference between '5E' and 'D&D' -- the latter is the official branded game from WotC, while the former is the overall game system, including variants and supporting products made by third parties. Generally I use 5E to mean the overall hobby of playing... well, 5E... and D&D to refer to WotC's own 5E products.

I'm not sure how meaningful that difference is to most folks though. I'm a (small) publisher, so my perspective is probably skewed.
Let’s teach people how wide open this hobby is!

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
If you want to reduce the influence of WotC, including their branding doesn't help.

5e24 works better than D&D2024/DnD24 because D&D is the branding, not the game
My point is that saying D&D 2024 when we’re talking about Hasbro’s new core books helps keep 5e tied to the wider hobby. Eventually I don’t think we need to talk about 2024 for anything other than the D&D core books. 5e is 5e with many publishers publishing all sorts of things for it.

I’m trying to say that we shouldn’t assume 5e == D&D or Hasbro published books. Instead, D&D is D&D and 5e is the superset.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My point is that saying D&D 2024 when we’re talking about Hasbro’s new core books helps keep 5e tied to the wider hobby. Eventually I don’t think we need to talk about 2024 for anything other than the D&D core books. 5e is 5e with many publishers publishing all sorts of things for it.

I’m trying to say that we shouldn’t assume 5e == D&D or Hasbro published books. Instead, D&D is D&D and 5e is the superset.
I think that's a complex jargon to maintain, since "D&D", in my experience, is used to encompass the entire set of games in the family going back to the 1974 release. Heck, I often see "D&D" being used as a placeholder for anything within the family of related games. I mean, if someone said they were running a "D&D game", and used TotV or A5e as the baseline, I certainly wouldn't accuse them of some sort of linguistic bait and switch.

Honestly, I think the most important thing is to not use language that credits the 2024 books as any sort of new edition or sea change in the way the game is played. It's just another set of books in the wider 5e ocean that has been continually growing since 2014. Anything that builds up the 2024 release as something major in the game line just does WotC's work for them.

Clint_L

Hero
I think that's a complex jargon to maintain, since "D&D", in my experience, is used to encompass the entire set of games in the family going back to the 1974 release. Heck, I often see "D&D" being used as a placeholder for anything within the family of related games. I mean, if someone said they were running a "D&D game", and used TotV or A5e as the baseline, I certainly wouldn't accuse them of some sort of linguistic bait and switch.
Agreed. Usually, terms like 1e, 5e or whatever are inside baseball for conversations like we have on this forum.
Honestly, I think the most important thing is to not use language that credits the 2024 books as any sort of new edition or sea change in the way the game is played. It's just another set of books in the wider 5e ocean that has been continually growing since 2014. Anything that builds up the 2024 release as something major in the game line just does WotC's work for them.
Here I disagree. WotC's stated goal is to get away from identifying D&D the brand with a particular edition, and they are emphatically, repeatedly telling us that 2024 is not a new edition or sea change (having playtested, I concur). I think their strategy going forward is to use DnDBeyond and, to a lesser degree, DM's Guild to signify what they want associated with the brand.

Remove ads