• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upcoming changes to Heroes

Exclusive: Bryan Fuller's Rx for 'Heroes' | Heroes | Ausiello Files | EW.com

Exactly what we've been saying, no? I think it bodes well - except possibly for the part about Tim Kring still being in charge. I feel like he's proven that he really doesn't have the creativity needed to keep the show moving forward in a palatable direction. But, if he's at least smart enough to know when other people have better ideas it seems hopeful that the show can be saved from its saviors.

Felon

First Post
Well, the interview's actually pretty light on details, which is why I didn't bother posting it a few days ago when I read it at IGN.com. As he says, he's just consulting. Of course, he does reiterate a lot of the complaints we've uttered, but they're no secret for anyone.

But yes, it's good to know things are going to change.

rowport

First Post
Thanks for posting. I am most encouraged by this:
"We're also going to tell fewer stories per episode. We're going to limit it to three or four with one big one that you can wrap the stories around. We're altering the structure of the show so that there's a very clear A story that takes up a larger percentage of the show so that that story gets traction."

I could even live with the huge cast if there was a rotation with reasonable focus per episode. AFAIK, some of that happened in Season One but since it became a "cast" show, then everybody now needs screen time.

Basically, if the show is about superhumans, and not a Pertrelli family drama, it can work again.

LightPhoenix

First Post
My biggest problem, and something I've gone on about in the episode posts, is that the episodes have too many stories going on at the same time. Generally right now there are four to five per episode, with one being the "main story" so to speak. So I don't see how telling the same general amount of stories per episode is an improvement when that's already too much.

So, assuming a 42 minute episode: if 50% of the show is your A-story, that's 21 minutes. Three B-stories around that is 7 minutes each - that's two scenes, three maximum if you really push it. What sort of story can you really tell with two to three scenes? I want to remain open to this working, I really do, but this doesn't sound like an improvement.

oooooh. The only concern I have is he said similiar things about improving Season 3 after the less successful Season 2. Its easier to say something than to do something....especially with multi-billion company representatives standing over your shoulder.

I truely hope it works out. I really like the show and feel it has lots of promise and untold stories to do.

F5

Explorer
I'd give this more weight if they hadn't said the same thing about Season 2 going into Season 3. But I hope this is what it takes to trim the stuff that's not working out of the show...it sounds good. I'll stick around for the Fugitives storyline. I was probably going to stick around for the Fugitives storyline anyway, but now I definitely intend to give it a fair shot.

DonTadow

First Post
My biggest problem, and something I've gone on about in the episode posts, is that the episodes have too many stories going on at the same time. Generally right now there are four to five per episode, with one being the "main story" so to speak. So I don't see how telling the same general amount of stories per episode is an improvement when that's already too much.

So, assuming a 42 minute episode: if 50% of the show is your A-story, that's 21 minutes. Three B-stories around that is 7 minutes each - that's two scenes, three maximum if you really push it. What sort of story can you really tell with two to three scenes? I want to remain open to this working, I really do, but this doesn't sound like an improvement.
Yeah, I didn't get that part either. The 4 to 5 stories a show is a problem now. Heck 3 is too much. One with a secondary story is good enough.

Whereas i want to be encouraged, it doesn't take a brain scientiest to tell you something's wrong with it and how to fix it.

From the sound of things, they arestill screwing up at least until 19, as he mentions they are figuring out how to put a face on the "forumla".

Ranger REG

Explorer
Exclusive: Bryan Fuller's Rx for 'Heroes' | Heroes | Ausiello Files | EW.com

Exactly what we've been saying, no? I think it bodes well - except possibly for the part about Tim Kring still being in charge. I feel like he's proven that he really doesn't have the creativity needed to keep the show moving forward in a palatable direction. But, if he's at least smart enough to know when other people have better ideas it seems hopeful that the show can be saved from its saviors.
I hope they'll have a new hero that can raise people from the dead ... for one minute. Of course, beyond the minute, someone else have to die. Even then, if the recently raised is touched again, then that undead is dead again.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
One of the things I loved about series 1 was the heroes living and working 'in real life', which they gradually moved away from. I liked seeing Matt working in the police and with the FBI. I liked seeing Claire at school (well, sorta).

For me, it was that rather than the 'finding out about their powers' which made series 1 particularly interesting. Powers interacting with real life.

I'd be happy if more of that came back (although I'm not holding my breath for it)

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads