• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Unpopular Opinion: WotC is the Bethesda of RPG Companies

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
You seem to be offended that a guy said he had an unpopular opinion and it turned out that opinion was unpopular for the very reasons he figured it would be unpopular?
No, I'm not particularly offended, and I do find the entire exercise of "unpopular opinion" posts somewhat tiresome. Nevertheless, I still find your post (which was, I think we can both admit, a sort-of-personal attack) immature, equally as immature as Reynard's original post.

I don't see the TTRPG rules as software but more like a building toy. After buying the pack, you can create how you want, and it hasn't to be as in the cover box.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No, I'm not particularly offended, and I do find the entire exercise of "unpopular opinion" posts somewhat tiresome. Nevertheless, I still find your post (which was, I think we can both admit, a sort-of-personal attack) immature, equally as immature as Reynard's original post.

Fair enough. It really was not intended as a personal attack but more of making fun of his argument in the original post. I was trying to demonstrate to him the absurdity of his position.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Fair enough. It really was not intended as a personal attack but more of making fun of his argument in the original post. I was trying to demonstrate to him the absurdity of his position.
Understood, and fair enough, to reflect. I too think the initial argument was absurd.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Why make fun rather than debate? I laid out my reasoning and definitions pretty clearly, I think. That doesn't make me right of course, but I think it shows I wasn't just flinging offal for fun. But because some people obviously hate Bethesda (ahem) they have allowed their feelings to color my thesis as one presented in bad faith. Which it wasn't.

As a mea culpa how about this: I think WotC is embracing the ever more common tendency of electronic game developers of deciding to release work in an imperfect or "good enough" state because they are confident that a portion of their user base will "patch" it for them.

Also I don't care that folks disagree (unpopular opinion and all that) but I'm a little miffed at personal attacks as a response.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why make fun rather than debate? I laid out my reasoning and definitions pretty clearly, I think. That doesn't make me right of course, but I think it shows I wasn't just flinging offal for fun. But because some people obviously hate Bethesda (ahem) they have allowed their feelings to color my thesis as one presented in bad faith. Which it wasn't.

As a mea culpa how about this: I think WotC is embracing the ever more common tendency of electronic game developers of deciding to release work in an imperfect or "good enough" state because they are confident that a portion of their user base will "patch" it for them.

Also I don't care that folks disagree (unpopular opinion and all that) but I'm a little miffed at personal attacks as a response.

Again, was not a personal attack. I guess you think it was because of your feelings about EA?

I think WOTC playtests their RPG material more than any other major RPG company in the industry. I don't think most people patch it themselves. In fact I think an overwhelming majority play it almost exactly as written. I've seen no evidence supporting your contention that the people who play 5e D&D must turn to third parties or unofficial commentary or patches to get the game to work right for them. It's an incredibly small minority I suspect that do that.

But if you have actual evidence to the contrary, I am all ears.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think WOTC playtests their RPG material more than any other major RPG company in the industry.
Relatively speaking, are there other major RPG companies? Or even other major RPGs?
;)
I mean, D&D is kinda the 500 lb gorilla in the small pond.
I don't think most people patch it themselves.
…"patch" "customize" "interpret" "make rulings" "use judgement" whatever you want to call DMing...
In fact I think an overwhelming majority play it almost exactly as written.
I mean, that's a scathing condemnation of the whole DM-Empowerment/Rulings-not-Rules design philosophy, but if that's how you feel...

Remove ads