• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular Geek Media Opinions

For the most part, I don't care for Neil Gaiman's writing. I don't think he's a bad writer, but nothing he's ever written has grabbed me save for Good Omens, but he didn't write that alone.

He wrote a mashup of Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu called A Study in Emerald which is an absolute masterpiece. I think it's the best Cthulhu mythos story ever written by any author, and also the best Sherlock story ever written by any author, Conan Doyle included. It's truly brilliant. (Be warned that if you don't know much about Sherlock Holmes, some of the subtleties may go past you, especially in regard to the jaw-dropper of an ending).

This isn't an unpopular opinion, just a public service announcement.

Thourne

Hero
He wrote a mashup of Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu called A Study in Emerald which is an absolute masterpiece. I think it's the best Cthulhu mythos story ever written by any author, and also the best Sherlock story ever written by any author, Conan Doyle included. It's truly brilliant. (Be warned that if you don't know much about Sherlock Holmes, some of the subtleties may go past you, especially in regard to the jaw-dropper of an ending).

This isn't an unpopular opinion, just a public service announcement.
If you haven't read Snow Glass Apples, you may enjoy it.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Gaiman wrote on GEnie about sending Gene Wolfe a draft of Murder Mysteries. (They knew each other by then and were part of a loose circle of folks doing that, it wasn’t out of the blue.) Wolfe responded that he read it and considered the readability of murdering Gaiman and claiming the story was his. I have a lot of sympathy for Wolfe here - the story is that good, both for happens in the Silver City before creation and in modern Los Angeles.

Speaking of Cthulhu and unpopular geek opinions:

Lovecraft was a terrible author. The only decent thing he wrote was The Colour Out of Space. Everything else was overwrought, hacky, purple prose bullsh*t. The only reason he's remembered at all today is that he allowed other, better authors to play with his creations. If the Cthulhu stories were judged on their own merits alone, they'd have all gone out of print half a century ago.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The Sandman comics are good but in general Neil Gaiman is overrated and I've never finished one of his novels (save for Coraline, which is a fine work).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads