• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Strike while grappled?

Dwarmaj

First Post
Would True Strike be effective in this situation?

Fighter casts True Strike (from Ioun stone), he then moves in to attack a creature. The creature has reach and hits the fighter and starts a grapple since it has Improved Grab. Can the fighter use his +20 bonus on his grapple check?

True Strike
The character gains temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during the character's next attack. The character's next single attack roll (within the duration of the spell) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, the character is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

LokiDR

First Post
kreynolds said:
A grapple check isn't an attack roll, so I would say no. On the other hand, if the _fighter_ had started the grapple...

I agree. If this was a disarm attempt, on the other hand...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I personally feel that a grapple check is an attack roll, and the reason it is described as "something like a melee attack roll" is because "Size Modifier" is changed to "Special Size Modifier".

I see no reason why bonuses from Bless, Divine Favor, bardic music, potion of Heroism, or True Strike should apply to rolls of the form d20 + BAB + Str modifier + Size modifier, and not to rolls of the form d20 + BAB + Str modifier + Special Size modifier.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
I personally feel that a grapple check is an attack roll, and the reason it is described as "something like a melee attack roll" is because "Size Modifier" is changed to "Special Size Modifier".

I see no reason why bonuses from Bless, Divine Favor, bardic music, potion of Heroism, or True Strike should apply to rolls of the form d20 + BAB + Str modifier + Size modifier, and not to rolls of the form d20 + BAB + Str modifier + Special Size modifier.

-Hyp.
I'd have to agree. Though I don't much see the point of the fighter doing this... did he expect the AoO and improved grab? Usualy he would be just getting overkill with his touch attack roll to start the grapple...

nimisgod

LEW Judge
I don't think it should apply. Even though the grapple check is very similar to an attack roll, I don't believe that it looks right that a Spell that allows you to strike accurately (via insight) would allow you to pin an owlbear.

I guess you could wranggle up some explanation for it, but I'd rather keep things organized in my game. A grapple roll is a grapple roll. An attack roll is an attack roll.

Staffan

Legend
Not sure how the spell-storing ioun stone works, exactly, but in the more general case of the grappler actually *casting* True Strike there is an additional problem to consider. Even though True Strike doesn't have somatic components, you still need to make a Concentration roll against a DC of 21 (IIRC - 20+level) to get it off. It's hard to focus on casting spells when someone's got you in a half-nelson.

I don't mind someone using True Strike in a grapple otherwise, however. It can just as easily be explained as seeing the precise weak spot in the opponent's grapple and focusing your attentions there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads