• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Stoneskin in 3er

Merlion

First Post
With the new DR rules I wonder how Stoneskin will be handled in the revision? DR 10/ or 15/magic seems awfuly weak for adventurers since by then most things will be able to get past it. Maybe it just gives like DR 10/-
What do you think?

Pax

Banned
Banned
Heck, IMO, Stoneskin needs a total rewrite anyway. It's maximim damage reduced, the DR of 10/?, the duration ... all of it.

The version I'd like: take the duration down to 1 round per level, NOT be discharged, and give DR of 5/-, plus 1/2 your caster level up to 20 (so, 15/- at 20th level). As an 6th level spell, when you just get the ability to cast it, it'd give you 10/- for 11 rounds.

Merlion

First Post
I dont really think stoneskin needs a total rewrite...its not to powerful and the new DR rules should make it even less so.
the 10/epic would make sense but do you think they'd actualy put something like that in the PHB?
I still think its most likely to be just 10/- so it cant be bypassed by weapons at all...although in the new rules the 10/epic probably wuld make the most sense.

Dimwhit

Explorer
I think the component requirement for Stoneskin is ridiculous. Isn't it 500gp of diamond dust? It's a nice spell, but not that nice.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Some clarifications:
Stoneskin's Sor/Wiz 4 (But Earth and Strength 6)
It has a Material Component of 250gp worh of diamond dust (and Granite, which doesn't cost a thing)

I think they'll go the way of d20 Modern, where it's DR 10/-. /epic is no part of the core rules, so they won't use it (but maybe the updates to the ELH will turn it to 10/epic). 10/magic would render the spell virtually useless. Maybe they lower it to 5/-, but that's not particularly likely.

niteshade6

First Post
It is an extremely strong spell, but the cost balances it out somewhat. It's still extremely annoying for NPCs to use against you, since they often don't care about the cost. Nothing worse then the enemy mage who stoneskins his entire crew beforehand.

Benben

First Post
KaeYoss said:
10/magic would render the spell virtually useless.

As an aside with a little tweaking this isn't as bad as one would think.

Monte Cook's "Greater Mark of Earth" has damage reduction of 10/+1 (3.0), and which would translate nicely to DR 10/magic in 3.5. With no damage cap or expensive component and a duration of 1/hr per level it's my general replacement for stoneskin.

Shallown

First Post
While true "epic" is not part of the 3ed core rules perhaps the word "epic" in this context will be core rules in 3.5ed. I don't know but I haven't seen anything about changing Stoneskin but I haven't been as in tune lately been busy with a new job.

later

Destil

Explorer
Shallown said:
While true "epic" is not part of the 3ed core rules perhaps the word "epic" in this context will be core rules in 3.5ed.
If nothing else at least it'll make sense for artifacts within the core rules...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads