• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spheres of Might and Power for 5e Kickstarter is live

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Backed! Oh man, this completely changes my plans for my next campaign if this goes through. I love this system, I just can't go back to PF1 to use it.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've seen people on homebrewing reddits converting some of this stuff before, but I'm not sure I understand how this work.

Is it a revamping of the spell schools into more diverse themetic ''trees''?

TwoSix

I've seen people on homebrewing reddits converting some of this stuff before, but I'm not sure I understand how this work.

Is it a revamping of the spell schools into more diverse themetic ''trees''?
It's a lot broader than that. The sphere system is completely orthogonal to the existing spells, you can use it in addition to the normal spells or as a replacement.

There's 20 spheres in the base book. (Some examples are Conjuration, Destruction, Illusion, Weather, Time, and Mind.) Each sphere gives you access to 1-3 effects, some of which are at-will, some of which cost spell points. (Full casters have spell points equal to their level + Casting mod.) Each sphere also has a list of talents, which generally give alternate effects to the base power or enhance the range and potency of the effect. Full casters generally gain between 1-2 talents each level, which can be spent to either gain a talent or a new sphere.

Crucially, the base effects and talents scale with level; you don't need to spend all your talent points in 1-2 spheres to keep them relevant. A caster who chooses to put all their talents into one sphere will have access to a much greater breadth and depth of options. Just putting one point into Weather, for example, will let a caster summon up rain, a solid amount of wind, and raise or drop the temperature by 10s of degrees. Putting all your points into Weather pretty much turns you into Storm from X-Men.

There's also sections on new classes that utilize and build on the Sphere system, how to adapt the existing PHB classes into the Sphere system, Advanced Talents that are level-gated to allow for more potent effects, and a large section of boons and drawbacks that allow the DM or player to build their own casting traditions, if they want to have a more focused set of casting abilities that fit their setting.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It's a lot broader than that. The sphere system is completely orthogonal to the existing spells, you can use it in addition to the normal spells or as a replacement.

There's 20 spheres in the base book. (Some examples are Conjuration, Destruction, Illusion, Weather, Time, and Mind.) Each sphere gives you access to 1-3 effects, some of which are at-will, some of which cost spell points. (Full casters have spell points equal to their level + Casting mod.) Each sphere also has a list of talents, which generally give alternate effects to the base power or enhance the range and potency of the effect. Full casters generally gain between 1-2 talents each level, which can be spent to either gain a talent or a new sphere.

Crucially, the base effects and talents scale with level; you don't need to spend all your talent points in 1-2 spheres to keep them relevant. A caster who chooses to put all their talents into one sphere will have access to a much greater breadth and depth of options. Just putting one point into Weather, for example, will let a caster summon up rain, a solid amount of wind, and raise or drop the temperature by 10s of degrees. Putting all your points into Weather pretty much turns you into Storm from X-Men.

There's also sections on new classes that utilize and build on the Sphere system, how to adapt the existing PHB classes into the Sphere system, Advanced Talents that are level-gated to allow for more potent effects, and a large section of boons and drawbacks that allow the DM or player to build their own casting traditions, if they want to have a more focused set of casting abilities that fit their setting.
I'll keep an eye on it once it releases. I'm wary this will be full of what I call ''PFism'', with a bunch of way-too-granular-for-tastes bonus and effect. But what you describe here sounds cool. I prefer my magic to use thematic domain like theses instead of general spell list.

TwoSix

I'll keep an eye on it once it releases. I'm wary this will be full of what I call ''PFism'', with a bunch of way-too-granular-for-tastes bonus and effect. But what you describe here sounds cool. I prefer my magic to use thematic domain like theses instead of general spell list.
This has some more details if you wanted to do a slightly deeper dive.

slobster

Hero
As someone who has played with it before and has similar tastes to you (I used to love the 3.x fiddly character customization, but my taste for it has fallen off a cliff as I've gotten older and have less time to spend out of game mastering character progression subgames), it does end up playing pretty much like you probably expect. It's too fiddly for my tastes, but very flavorful and it goes a long way towards making spellcasters feel more special and thematic. If they can do the 5E update in the spirit of 5E, where there aren't really any "trap" options and the ceiling on optimization is a lot closer to the floor of those who don't optimize, I think it could be pretty cool.

TwoSix

As someone who has played with it before and has similar tastes to you (I used to love the 3.x fiddly character customization, but my taste for it has fallen off a cliff as I've gotten older and have less time to spend out of game mastering character progression subgames), it does end up playing pretty much like you probably expect. It's too fiddly for my tastes, but very flavorful and it goes a long way towards making spellcasters feel more special and thematic. If they can do the 5E update in the spirit of 5E, where there aren't really any "trap" options and the ceiling on optimization is a lot closer to the floor of those who don't optimize, I think it could be pretty cool.
I agree that doing a number conversion of the system, but not knocking out the Pathfinder-isms built into the system, is certainly the biggest risk of this project, and something I'm concerned about myself.

I would say only there's nothing inherent in the concept that requires it to be fiddly, it's simply an outgrowth of giving the Pathfinder community (especially the portion of the PF community that embraces third-party material) the number of knobs and levers they traditionally desire.

My personal taste finds 5e slightly too streamlined, so I'm hoping their final product is slimmed down but still slightly "chunkier" than a standard 5e release.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads