• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E spells for a mage-hunting sorcerer?

evilbob

Explorer
What thematically appropriate, early spells would you suggest for a sorcerer who wants to be a mage-hunter? I'm talking about spell levels 1-3. Alter Self, for example, seems like a great one, so you can sneak up on your prey. What are others? (The bigger question here being: when you only get level+1 spells, how can you do something more interesting than blasting?)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I'd say basically, you want to think of the normal tactics of mages, and figure out appropriate counters. You should have the edge in endurance, so you want to to be able to make efficient trade-offs to outlast them.

Magic Missile (counters mirror image, and forces them to use up precious slots on shield)
Absorb Elements (spend a slot to take less, and you do more)
Counterspell and/or Dispel Magic (you have more slots, you can afford to trade spell slots. And they've spent a whole action, while you've only used a reaction).
See invisibility (for obvious reasons)

If possible, I'd go shadow sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana. Having the darkness + devil sight combo right away without dipping is awesome, and the hound will keep pressure on them.

evilbob

Explorer
If possible, I'd go shadow sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana. Having the darkness + devil sight combo right away without dipping is awesome, and the hound will keep pressure on them.
Very nice suggestion, thanks! I'd forgotten all about the UA options.

famousringo

First Post
Absorb Elements isn't on the sorcerer list, sadly.

Blindness/Deafness. Hard to target a spell when you can't see. It targets Con, which most casters don't get proficiency in, and doesn't require concentration.

Shocking Grasp. Use with Quicken to eat their reaction, then you can cast a full spell without being Counterspelled yourself.

Sleep. No save and wizard hit points suck. If you can target them alone and uprank the spell, you might be able to one-shot them (does 20.5 "damage" at level 1, 29.5 at level 2, 38.5 at level 3). Otherwise a little softening up and clearing the field may be necessary.

Relic Dice

First Post
Many of the spells already listed are great for countering mages
My thoughts:

Casting Shatter focused around the mages arcane focus (say, staff or wand but HOPEFULLY a crystal ball,) would be pretty nasty. No more arcane focus, no more spells! (One of my favorite spells!)

Detect Magic: Necessary for any Mage Hunter worth their weight. Millions of uses, and would greatly assist you in hunting them down especially well because mages hide through magic (Disguise self, alter self, pass without trace, etc,).

Fog: There are uses for this, more like a trump card rather then a straight strategy. Still VERY nice, especially if you supplement your fog with melee or ranged capabilities.

Invisibility or See invisibility, depending on your general strategy, enemy composition, and approach to tactics.

Sleep, Alter Self, Dispell magic / Counterspell, Fly, Lightning Bolt/Fireball (for Mage's minions,) all very nice. Obvious uses. Certainly Alter Self / Disguise self, if your character would approve of such spells.

Personally, I might supplement your spells with a good Longbow or Longsword. The best way to kill a mage is with a Ranger locking onto them or a melee in their face. Even if that melee is you, a SORC, just putting pressure on them with a melee personality or tactic can really give you an edge (since you will likely lose the edge in spellcasting, due to less known spells, which is less options, in and out of a combat situation). I'm not saying multi-class into Fighter. I'm just saying keep your options open, as much as possible.

Hope that helped, at least a little. ;)
- Holly

MostlyDm

Explorer
Personally, I might supplement your spells with a good Longbow or Longsword. The best way to kill a mage is with a Ranger locking onto them or a melee in their face. Even if that melee is you, a SORC, just putting pressure on them with a melee personality or tactic can really give you an edge (since you will likely lose the edge in spellcasting, due to less known spells, which is less options, in and out of a combat situation). I'm not saying multi-class into Fighter. I'm just saying keep your options open, as much as possible.

Hope that helped, at least a little. ;)
- Holly

War caster can fill this role as well, since it makes you as sticky as a fighter. Get in their face, and tag them with shocking grasp if they get away.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads