• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer TV show planned back in 2002?

Heres the link to the FR TV show announcement. Not much info other than Fireworks TV was supposed to produce it, not familiar with anything they did. I was more curious as to when it was, over 20 years ago.

Live Action Forgotten Realms TV Show
Firework (and similar groups, often distributed by Tribune Entertainment) did a lot of tv shows that seemed to be trying to capitalize on the potential boom in hit syndicated shows that Baywatch/Highlander/Hercules/Xena could have engendered. They were often (in the U.S.) shown late at night on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and were marketed to the young adult male demographic. I think they also did a lot of work capitalizing on tax credits or similar that Canada and New Zealand gave for filming there. I remember videotaping a block of TV that included Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, Beastmaster: the Series, Mutant X, Total Recall 2070, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's the Lost World (followed by Stargate SG-1 reruns) specifically to watch while sobering up after a night out (or in, I had a problem).

Honestly speaking, most of the shows were... just fine. Other than sometimes lower production values, there was nothing in particular that made these shows mostly forgotten footnotes while other turn of the century episodic action/fantasy/sci-fi shows like Stargate, Xena, Buffy, Charmed ended up as cultural touchstones. I think they just tried to capitalize on a boom that didn't materialize*.
*Plus for Firework specifically I think there was a big legal battle over Mutant X, because Marvel sold them the rights and they thought they could use a bunch of stuff, but turns out it was only that stuff that Marvel hadn't sold to Sony Fox, which wasn't much, and it was a whole big hullabaloo and I have no idea who if anyone is the good or bad guys in the story, but I suspect it was a distraction that a small tv producer really couldn't survive.

Last edited:

Pirates of the Dark Waters had got potential for a reboot, and it is by Warner.

I wonder where it should be broadcasted, in Amazon, HBO, Paramount, Netflix or Disney+. If you were Hasbro, after the end of the partnership deal with Paramaount, what would be your choice, a new deal with exclusive rights, or allowing with different companies?

Spelljammer is a setting perfect to sell toys.

R_J_K75

Legend
Firework (and similar groups, often distributed by Tribune Entertainment) did a lot of tv shows that seemed to be trying to capitalize on the potential boom in hit syndicated shows that Baywatch/Highlander/Hercules/Xena could have engendered. They were often (in the U.S.) shown late at night on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and were marketed to the young adult male demographic. I think they also did a lot of work capitalizing on tax credits or similar that Canada and New Zealand gave for filming there. I remember videotaping a block of TV that included Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, Beastmaster: the Series, Mutant X, Total Recall 2070, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's the Lost World (followed by Stargate SG-1 reruns) specifically to watch while sobering up after a night out (or in, I had a problem).

Honestly speaking, most of the shows were... just fine. Other than sometimes lower production values, there was nothing in particular that made these shows mostly forgotten footnotes while other turn of the century episodic action/fantasy/sci-fi shows like Stargate, Xena, Buffy, Charmed ended up as cultural touchstones. I think they just tried to capitalize on a boom that didn't materialize*.
*Plus for Firework specifically I think there was a big legal battle over Mutant X, because Marvel sold them the rights and they thought they could use a bunch of stuff, but turns out it was only that stuff that Marvel hadn't sold to Sony, which wasn't much, and it was a whole big hullabaloo and I have no idea who if anyone is the good or bad guys in the story, but I suspect it was a distraction that a small tv producer really couldn't survive.
Didn't watch any of the shows you mentioned except maybe in passing for 5-10 minutes or woke up hungover and either couldn't find the remote or was too lazy to change the channel. But I do remember it was either when those shows were popular or on their way out when the FR show was supposed to happen so I can see it picking up the torch to fill the void those shows left.

Pirates of Darkwater was an underrated gem. I think Spelljammer would've been a perfect fit for that sort of animation.

Spelljammer would work very well as an animated series a la Pirates of Darkwater

But I'm not surprised nothing came of this. In the wake of the gangbusters success of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, can you imagine someone trying to just explain Spelljammer to a network executive?

Pirates of Darkwater was an underrated gem. I think Spelljammer would've been a perfect fit for that sort of animation.

But I'm not surprised nothing came of this. In the wake of the gangbusters success of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, can you imagine someone trying to just explain Spelljammer to a network executive?

Magic Guardians of the Galaxy meets Treasure Planet, but with D&D stuff. Done and sold.

Remove ads