• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell -> Counterspell -> Counterspell (from same character that casts 1st spell) - possible?

lkwpeter

Explorer
Hey,

okay, so here we go:

NPC: Casts a spell as an action.
Character: Casts Counterspell as a reaction.
NPC: Casts Counterspell as a reaction.

Let's have a look at the PHB:

Page 202: "You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip."

So, whether casting a Counterspell in addition to another spell is possible or not seems to depends on the following questions

1. Is Counterspell cast during your own or someone else's turn?
  2. Does NPC cast Counterspell within one or two turns?

1.)
Because the description of Counterspell doesn't say that you interrupt your opponent, I am quite sure that it's your own turn casting Counterspell. This is the contrary to the description of the Opportunity Attack that explicitly mentions that.

Page 195: Opportunity Attack: "The atlack interrupts the provoking creature's movement, occurring right before the creature leaves your reach."

2.)
So, because of the fact that you don't interrupt you opponent, Counterspell is casted on the creatures own turn. Furthermore, if the initial caster (NPC) tries to counterspell the Counterspell (of Character), he does this not on it's inital turn, but his next turn.

Turn 1 NPC -> Turn Character -> Turn 2 NPC

In conclusion my unterstanding is:

NPC: Casts a spell [OWN turn].
Character: Casts Counterspell [OWN turn -> because no Opportunity Attack -> no interrupting]
NPC: Casts Counterspell [2nd OWN TURN]

So, there is no restriction of casting two spells (initial spell + Counterspell), because it's not with in one, but two turns. So yes, it's possible to counterspell a Counterspell.

What do you think? Am I right?

Regards

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Are you right? No (I think, you're kinda hard to follow).
Is it possible? Yes.

Counterspell is a reaction spell, not a bonus spell. Page 202 is irrelevant because it's not a bonus action.

You can counterspell on your turn and cast another spell just fine (yes, you can use reactions on your own turn).

MiraMels

Explorer
I let players cast counterspell in response to a counterspell of a spell they themselves are in the middle of casting. But only if they've got a hand free for the additional somatic components. If the original spell that the opponent is trying to counter has somatic components itself, you can't use that hand to provide the somatic components of counterspell.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Waterbizkit

Explorer
This topic has come up before, and yes, a character can counter a counterspell with their own counterspell even if they're already in the process of casting something else. No, the rules for bonus action spell casting don't come into it because no one is casting anything with their bonus actions, counterspell uses your reaction. Yes, you can use your reaction on your own turn.

Quite honestly I love the whole idea of countering back & forth like this because it brings to mind, for me anyway, images of dueling mages weaving these complex spells in some weirdly fantastical battle of magic on magic. And of course I also like that the lowly sorcerer who has the subtle spell metamagic can sidestep all this stuff because subtle spells can't be countered, adds an extra and interesting wrinkle to the whole thing.

jgsugden

Legend
As long as you still have a reaction (which 'recharges' at the start of your turn, so you should have it), you can attempt to counter a counterspell. A number of my powerful bad guys have a 5th level bodyguard cleric or spellsword that is primarily there to counter spells - and counter the spells that counter their counterspells.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The hard to adjudicate bit (for me) is when you cast a bonus action spell on your turn, and that is counterspelled. Since you cast a bonus action spell, can you cast counterspell of your own?

Technically, I don't think you can. Which strikes me as a bit silly.

It is a great way of eating through spell slots, if nothing else.

Remember, it's impossible to actually counter a spell with counterspell, because if you are in range to counter them then they are necessarily in range to counter you. Instead, the point of counterspell is to make them waste their reaction, so they can't use shield that round.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
It is a great way of eating through spell slots, if nothing else.

Remember, it's impossible to actually counter a spell with counterspell, because if you are in range to counter them then they are necessarily in range to counter you. Instead, the point of counterspell is to make them waste their reaction, so they can't use shield that round.

Well, there's always the possibility that the first caster doesn't have counterspell prepared...

Well, there's always the possibility that the first caster doesn't have counterspell prepared...
I can't imagine anyone getting to fifth level and then making such a rookie mistake. Maybe if it's a new player, and they don't know how the world works yet, but the character really should know better.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I can't imagine anyone getting to fifth level and then making such a rookie mistake. Maybe if it's a new player, and they don't know how the world works yet, but the character really should know better.

5th level? I certainly can. There are only so many spells you can prepare, and needing to Counterspell is rare enough that I'd probably go with another spell first. But by 7th or 9th level - definitely. But even then, I've seen players in Adventure League not take it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads