Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, here's the list:

• Hearing the scream of a panther
  • Smelling the blood of a particular type of creature (e.g. elf, deer, any humanoid who isn't a goblin)
  • The anniversary of a particular event
  • Being frightened or panicked
  • Failing a save against a particular type of magic, including willingly failing a save (e.g. healing conjurations like cure wounds, harmless transmutations like bull's strength)
  • Performing a service for payment (or without payment)
  • Accepting a service without payment/barter (such as healing magic from a cleric)
  • Eating a certain type of food
  • Taking a specific type of ability damage

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
OK, here's the list:

• Smelling the blood of a particular type of creature (e.g. elf, deer, any humanoid who isn't a goblin)
  • Failing a save against a particular type of magic, including willingly failing a save (e.g. healing conjurations like cure wounds, harmless transmutations like bull's strength)
  • Accepting a service without payment/barter (such as healing magic from a cleric)
  • Eating a certain type of food

That's nine.

Shall we come up with another one to make it a neat round ten?

Feeling hunger?

freyar

Sure, that could work. Let's also add "/failing to eat a certain type of food each day" to the 8th line.

Cleon

Legend
Sure, that could work. Let's also add "/failing to eat a certain type of food each day" to the 8th line.

I was thinking more of being hungry in general, not failing to eat something specific.

e.g. "Having to make a Constitution check to avoid taking nonlethal damage from starvation."

freyar

I meant to use both! So...

• Eating a certain type of food/Failing to eat a certain type of food each day
  • Having to make a Constitution check to avoid taking nonlethal damage from starvation.

Cleon

Legend
I meant to use both! So...

• Eating a certain type of food/Failing to eat a certain type of food each day
  • Having to make a Constitution check to avoid taking nonlethal damage from starvation.

That looks good, and I think that's more than enough examples.

Updating Werepanther Working Draft.

We were talking about giving him a "voluntary transformations with a very high DC" (e.g. Control Shape DC 25) instead of the current "cannot use Control Shape checks to voluntarily change into wereform".

Are we still adding that?

Cleon

Legend
Yes, let's go for that.

Updating Werepanther Working Draft.

Any other mechanical updates you want to make?

The Unusual Curse needs a Control Shape DC for returning to humanoid form, since it's no longer a "moon or no-moon" deal.

I put in "The Control Shape check is DC 25 if the curse's triggering condition(s) are still present, and DC 20 if they are not." since that matches the standard lycanthrope's DC 25 to return to a humanoid during a full moon and DC 20 when there's no full moon.

If you're OK with that I think we're finished with this one mechanically, so it's just description, background and tactics.

freyar

Should we specify how long the involuntary change lasts (if there's no successful Control Shape check)? For a normal lycanthrope with a full moon, it's until dawn. So maybe 1d12 hours or something?

Cleon

Legend
Should we specify how long the involuntary change lasts (if there's no successful Control Shape check)? For a normal lycanthrope with a full moon, it's until dawn. So maybe 1d12 hours or something?

Yes, I guess we'd better, and we might as well give the dodecahedron some love while we're about it.

Updating Werepanther Working Draft. I simply added "Involuntary transformations have a duration of 1d12 hours" to the end of the first paragraph.

Remove ads