Legend
Werebadger Working Draft

Werebadger

Werebadger, Gnome Form
Small Humanoid (Gnome, Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 plus 1d8+4 (15 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 size, +4 chain shirt, +1 light shield, +2 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Longsword +2 melee (1d6/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (
1d6/19-20)
Full Attack:
Longsword +2 melee (1d6/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Alternate form, badger empathy, gnome traits, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities:
Str 11, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +2, Escape Artist +2, Hide +6, Listen +4, Spot +3
Feats: Agile (B), Iron Will (B), Track (B), Weapon Finesse (B), Weapon Focus (light crossbow)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, family (3-4), or troupe (2-4 plus 3-5 badgers)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment:
Usually neutral good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Werebadger, Badger Form
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), burrow 10 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Claw
+5 melee (1d2-1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d2-1) and bite +0 melee (1d3-1)
Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy, rage

Special Qualities: Alternate form, badger empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, gnome traits, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities:
Str 9, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +5, Escape Artist +12, Hide +9, Listen +4, Spot +3
Feats: Agile (B), Iron Will (B), Track (B), Weapon Finesse (B), Weapon Focus (light crossbow)
Alignment:
Usually neutral good

Werebadger, Hybrid Form
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Claw
+5 melee (1d3-1) or longsword +2 melee (1d6-1/19-20) or light crossbow +6 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d3-1) and bite +0 melee (1d4-1); or longsword +2 melee and claw +0 melee (1d3-1) and bite +0 melee (1d4-1); or light crossbow +6 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy
Special Qualities:
Alternate form, badger empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, gnome traits, low-light vision, scent
Saves:Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +5, Escape Artist +12, Hide +9, Listen +4, Spot +3
Alignment:
Usually neutral good

A stocky, furry humanoid with the striped head of a badger.

Werebadgers in humanoid form tend to have a stocky build and large hands. Their hair is usually grey or black, often with a streak of the other color.

The werebadger presented here is a 1st-level gnome warrior and natural lycanthrope, using the following base ability scores: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

COMBAT

Werebadgers prefer to hide or flee from threats, but if pushed they fight with furious tenacity. Werebadgers usually fight in hybrid form, since they dislike raging in animal form and being forced to fight to the death.

Alternate Form (Su): A werebadger
can assume the form of a badger or a badger-humanoid hybrid.

Badger Empathy (Ex): Communicate with badger and dire
badger, and +4 racial bonus on Charisma-based checks against badger and dire badger.

Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid or giant hit by a were
badger's bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy.

Gnome Traits:
Gnomes possess the following racial traits:
A gnome has +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, Small size,
low-light vision and a base land speed of 20 feet.
Gnomes have a
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears) and a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
Gnomes treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
Gnomes have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions. A gnome adds +1 to the Difficulty Class to all illusion spells it casts, this bonus stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
A gnome has a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Craft (alchemy) checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc.
Favored Class: Bard

Rage (Ex): A werebadger that takes damage in combat while in animal form flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Skills:
A werebadger in animal or hybrid form has a +4 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks.

Gnomes have a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Hmm...maybe an "Often neutral good"? With the rage, it seems like chaotic is a good fit for most werebadgers.

All the SRD Lycanthropes use "Always", so I left that in there.

If you're OK with them not being an Always alignment I'd prefer "Usually neutral good" like the base creature.

Any preferences for the skills?

A standard Gnome Warrior appears to have skill ranks of Hide 6, Listen 0, Spot 2, which blatantly breaks the maximum rank limit for Hide. (The SRD gnome's +3 Hide seems to includes the -3 armour penalties for the chain shirt and light shield, but is missing the +4 for Small size.).

A badger has Listen 2, Spot 2.

That suggests Hide 5, Listen 2, Spot 3 for the Gnome Werebadger, giving them:

Skills (Gnome): Balance +2, Escape Artist +2, Hide +6, Listen +4, Spot +3
Skills (Animal/Hybrid): Balance +5, Escape Artist +12, Hide +9, Listen +4, Spot +3

Oh, I just realized I cut off the badger's racial bonus in the Working Draft. Easily fixed in the next edit.

Shade

Monster Junkie
All the SRD Lycanthropes use "Always", so I left that in there.

If you're OK with them not being an Always alignment I'd prefer "Usually neutral good" like the base creature.

I'm OK with that.

Any preferences for the skills?

A standard Gnome Warrior appears to have skill ranks of Hide 6, Listen 0, Spot 2, which blatantly breaks the maximum rank limit for Hide. (The SRD gnome's +3 Hide seems to includes the -3 armour penalties for the chain shirt and light shield, but is missing the +4 for Small size.).

A badger has Listen 2, Spot 2.

That suggests Hide 5, Listen 2, Spot 3 for the Gnome Werebadger, giving them:

Skills (Gnome): Balance +2, Escape Artist +2, Hide +6, Listen +4, Spot +3
Skills (Animal/Hybrid): Balance +5, Escape Artist +12, Hide +9, Listen +4, Spot +3.

That works for me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looking great. But lycanthrope alignments follow: "This is a reflection of how these animals are perceived, not any innate quality of the animal itself, so the alignment of the animal form can be arbitrarily assigned." As Shade says, it would make sense for these to be chaotic, and maybe even CN, since badgers are usually perceived as pretty vicious.

Cleon

Legend
Looking great. But lycanthrope alignments follow: "This is a reflection of how these animals are perceived, not any innate quality of the animal itself, so the alignment of the animal form can be arbitrarily assigned." As Shade says, it would make sense for these to be chaotic, and maybe even CN, since badgers are usually perceived as pretty vicious.

Ah, but these could be "cute lovable badgers" as perceived by PETA girl.

The Dragon #40 Badger we're converting was Neutral, so I'd rather make it "Always neutral" than chaotic.

There is a Chaotic-aligned werebadger in AD&D, the dwarf werebadger in Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts is Chaotic EVIL.

So, if you want a Chaotic werebadger I'd rather make the Gnome Werebadger neutral and add an "always chaotic, often evil" Dwarf Dire Werebadger to the conversion.

Cleon

Legend
Doing the dire one as chaotic works for me.

Come to think of it, we'd better make the Dire Badger Always Chaotic Evil since that's the alignment The Creature Catalogue 3.0 conversion of the Werebadger has (which is based on the Van Richten version).

In other words, we can consider the Dire Werebadger as a 3.5 update for the 3.0 Werebadger we've already got.

Which by a remarkable coincidence I've already done stat for... :D

Remove ads