• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Should the D&D Movie Been Serious or Not Called D&D?

mamba

Legend
I put multiple links in the Hit or Flop thread. Digital sales tracking for iTunes, Google, Amazon and Vudu are in 30+ days of huge strength.
So we are talking about Maverick now, or Maverick back when it was new to streaming? Didn't see anything about Top Gun in what you posted

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
So we are talking about Maverick now, or Maverick back when it was new to streaming? Didn't see anything about Top Gun in what you posted
Maverick on streaming peaked at 10 on Netflix. It's now in the 50s.

HBO's peak was 17th. It spends its time around 25th.
On Prime it peaked at 66th
On P+ it's first worldwide, but not in the US for the past several days
Worldwide on iTunes it dropped out of the top ten months ago.

It's available on a lot more platforms and had a better launch week than D&D: Honor Among Thieves. Honor Among Thieves had a soft launch and has gained ranking every week.
While they've been head to head Honor Among Thieves is crushing Top Gun: Maverick.

And on some platforms HaT has exceeded Maverick from their release dates.

aco175

Legend
Is the tone “right?” That is opinion. It’s not MY favorite. I like Excalibur and Conan the Barbarian movies. But I am a small subset of the audience. And ultimately thought the movie was fun though not my favorite tone.
I like these movies more myself as well. My group does find some humor in Conan and still quote/demonstrate the move the thief does after Conan kills the demon in the second movie, where he pulls out his knife and stabs the demon in the head once it is dead.

My thought is that they tried to copy Guardians of the Galaxy and did not hit it right. I liked the movie overall, but glad I did not run out the first day.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
As the title says. The D&D movie flopped at the box office. One reason speculated is the D&D name in the title being a turn off outside of the dedicated fan base.

Eg Honor Amoung Thieves: A D&D story. Or just HAT.
If the D&D name poisoned the well, which I don't buy, then having it in there at all would have poisoned it just as badly. As it was a multimillion dollar marketing scheme to raise brand awareness, there's no way they'd have avoided the brand's name.
The other thing was did they get the tone wrong? GotG fantasy knock off vs more serious tone like LotR or Game of Thrones.
Nope. Fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy is a much better way to go than a LotR or GoT knockoff.
Another problem was outside of serious fantasy (LotR) and Harry Potter fantasy movies in general tend to do badly at the box office.
Fantasy movies in the top 100 box office films of all time, excluding Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter: Frozen 2, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast (2017), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Aladdin (2019), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Alice in Wonderland (2010), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Shrek 2, Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2, Coco, Shrek 3, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. And depending on how you categorize superhero movies, there's a dozen more right there. Some of those are serious, some decidedly not.
All the well regarded fantasy TV shows and big budget tend to be serious in tone as well (GoT, Shadow and Bone, Wheel of Time, Rings of Power, Witcher, Sandman).
You sure about that?
Willow was the exception but it wasn't well regarded or high budget and got canceled.
Wheel of Time and Rings of Power are exceptions to that "well regarded" bit.

Zardnaar

Legend

It's available on a lot more platforms and had a better launch week than D&D: Honor Among Thieves. Honor Among Thieves had a soft launch and has gained ranking every week.
While they've been head to head Honor Among Thieves is crushing Top Gun: Maverick.

And on some platforms HaT has exceeded Maverick from their release dates.

That's the difference though Netflix is a vastly bigger platform than TGM. AFAIK HAT isn't on Netflix.

To many variables as well I don't care about positions etc I'm purely about the money.

The money will determine the chances of sequels or more movies etc assuming that's what you want.

If you just wanted a good movie well you've already got that.

My position is only the movie flopped at tge box office to the tune of tens of millions of dollars maybe 109+ (unknown marketing budget) and the back end is unlikely (but not impossible) to cover that hole.

Zardnaar

Legend
If the D&D name poisoned the well, which I don't buy, then having it in there at all would have poisoned it just as badly. As it was a multimillion dollar marketing scheme to raise brand awareness, there's no way they'd have avoided the brand's name.

Nope. Fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy is a much better way to go than a LotR or GoT knockoff.

Fantasy movies in the top 100 box office films of all time, excluding Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter: Frozen 2, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast (2017), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Aladdin (2019), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Alice in Wonderland (2010), Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Shrek 2, Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2, Coco, Shrek 3, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. And depending on how you categorize superhero movies, there's a dozen more right there. Some of those are serious, some decidedly not.

You sure about that?

Wheel of Time and Rings of Power are exceptions to that "well regarded" bit.

I did say or big budget.

And those movies you listed have fantasy elements but I don't consider most of them as fantasy movies.

mamba

Legend

I have no idea how you get to Maverick doing worse. Going by your link

On iTunes TG:M has been for 292 days, has accumulated 103,111 points for an average of 353.1 per day. HAT on the other hand has been on for 39 days, has a score of 6,336 for an average of 162.5 per day. So it has not even half what Maverick has per day, and Maverick has that for 10 months now, with the numbers obviously dropping over time.

Amazon is a similar picture, TG:M has 201 days, a score of 4,748 and an average of 23.6. HAT has 36 days, 450 points, an average of 12.5. So roughly half again, and that is despite TG:M basically not registering since mid-March.

Paramount+, yet more of the same. TG:M 171 days, score of 42,658, average of 249.5 vs HAT at 25 days, score of 185 and an average of 7.4. HAT barely registers while TG:M basically has been first for the entire 6 months.

Either that, or I do not understand these charts, but showing a rank of 1. for every single day seems to be pretty clear... and so are the respective scores / averages

1686451712338.png

1686451856062.png

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I like these movies more myself as well. My group does find some humor in Conan and still quote/demonstrate the move the thief does after Conan kills the demon in the second movie, where he pulls out his knife and stabs the demon in the head once it is dead.

My thought is that they tried to copy Guardians of the Galaxy and did not hit it right. I liked the movie overall, but glad I did not run out the first day.
Weirdly I just watched Conan the destroyer yesterday!

I much much much prefer Conan the barbarian…BUT

Think the destroyer was closer ronD&D games I play in! I actually liked the absurd there and chuckled…

No doubt the first film was loads better but my kids can watch the destroyer and not th barbarian anytime soon…

Zardnaar

Legend
Weirdly I just watched Conan the destroyer yesterday!

I much much much prefer Conan the barbarian…BUT

Think the destroyer was closer ronD&D games I play in! I actually liked the absurd there and chuckled…

No doubt the first film was loads better but my kids can watch the destroyer and not th barbarian anytime soon…

Think I rewatched both somewhat recently. First one was OK second one not so much. YMMV of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads