• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Setting up a Dragonlance Campaign.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I wish I could find it but maybe by me reminding people of it here, someone else may link it. Someone did a conversion document and I think even a browser calculator to help convert things from 1e to 5e. I figure that would help you a lot.

Also, if you're following the DL modules then all the players will be playing the Heroes of the Lance. Whoever plays Goldmoon could essentially get her clerical powers through the Staff of Mishakal. After the gods return, the staff could then become a holy focus and change to be like the item in the modules.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
I'm probably going to let them build their own characters to allow them to immerse themselves into the story. Though, the Cleric will still get the staff.

aramis erak

Legend
The no cleric thing is just for the first adventure, and the blue crystal staff is provided as a healing substitute in lieu of that.

So that isn't a major issue. What I always struggled with was how to do it narratively. Nobody is going to create a non-magic-using cleric just in case; and if someone creates a non-cleric character, they probably don't want to switch class at the end of Dragons of Despair.

So the only real way to do that is find a player who wants to be a cleric and tell them what's going to happen. Not ideal, as it robs the narrative of that drama, but the best choice available.

Since this isn't for organized play, there's one more option that might work. Allow one of the players to transfer their earned XP to a cleric after that point.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Since characters will be starting at level 4, I'll have the player using a Cleric at least funnel 1 level into it. I had found this link earlier where Phil was discussing the classes he planned on using, I'll just have to figure out how to work them into 5e or work whats already there for the campaign.

The link for the class list I found in case anyone else would fin it useful or interesting.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/Hum_Forgotten_Realms/topic/660916/1/

Warunsun

First Post
I'm probably going to let them build their own characters to allow them to immerse themselves into the story. Though, the Cleric will still get the staff.
I have played through the modules with characters of our own devising and I have to warn you that making your own characters doesn't immerse you more. It only creates problems. While I enjoy DragonLance these old modules are a straight railroad setup and at times the module/DM has to instruct the character "on what he/she is going to do next". Yes, there is that much railroading in it.

You certainly can rewrite it and make it work as best as possible. That is what our DM attempted to do. We encouraged him to try it but once the campaign was over we released it would have probably been more fun if he had created his own War of the Lance modules instead of letting us shoehorn our own PCs into those modules. We did have fun but these scenarios were designed as classic tournament style ones where the characters were provided and written into the plot of it. One tip I could suggest would be to present some of the module characters as NPCs or companion characters to your created PCs. This might work well if your group is small. Also at a certain point in the series you switch out characters to a different party. This can also be problematic with a home made group.

The War of the Lance campaign book written & published by Sovereign Press in 2004 will definitely give you a lot of good pointers in adapting 5E to these modules. The book was written for Third Edition D&D but the advice in there should be equally useful. It is out of print but you can still order it and find it at reasonable prices.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Since this isn't for organized play, there's one more option that might work. Allow one of the players to transfer their earned XP to a cleric after that point.

I must have not explained what I meant well. The issue isn't a mechanical one; that's easy. The issue is a narrative/player one. Who wants to create an awesome barbarian only to have to turn it into a cleric? If they wanted to play a cleric, they wouldn't have created a barbarian! So the only real solution is for the player to know in advance what's going to happen and be on board with the idea from the outset.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Hmmm, thanks Warunsun. I'm rather strapped on time as I'm currently running 3 other 5e groups as well as a Tephra group, which is why I was leaning towards using the modules as I'd only have to convert the monsters. Would you happen to know if any of the other Dragonlance Adventres Modules are less rail roady? The majority of the group will be comprised of newer players/those who haven't played since 2nd edition.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
FWIW Frank Foulis is working on a Dragonlance campaign and has shared his work on the Facebook group, which include a few conversions of monsters & NPCs if you're interested to see;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dndadventurersguild/

EDIT I just realised the Facebook group might not be open sorry i'll see if i can get Frank in here or a link to his work if he wants to of course!

Last edited:

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Yeah, the group is closed, but thank you. I've been combing through the 1st Edition Dragonlance Adventures book and writing out some of the basic notes. I'll post what I've pulled out when I finish looking through the book.

Dr.Strangelove

First Post
Okay, so far, this is what I've managed to compile.

**Races**
Human
Dwarf:Hill & Mountain
Elves: High(Silvanesti&Qualinesti), Wood Elf(Kagonesti), Dark, Auqa(Dimemesti) http://tribality.com/2014/09/10/5e-aquatic-elf-sea-elf/
Halflings: Kender
Gnome: Rock Gnome(Tinker Gnome)
Forest Gnome (Mad Gnome)
Half Elf

**Classes**
Barbarian
Bard (No healing spells)
Clerics (Divine)
Druids (Divine)
Fighter
Monk
Rangers (Divine)
Rogues
Paladins (Divine)
Magic Users (Renegade) (Warlocks & Sorcerrers maybe?)
Wizards, Following under either: Black,Red or White

Any comments or suggestions?

Remove ads