• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Samaritan 2022 [Spoilers]

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.

I had high hopes for this. It's Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! bad. I'm not sure if it one of those so bad, it's good or just plain bad. The EMP grenades are probably the coolest part.

It was filmed here in Atlanta. One of the buildings seen in several shots is The Walden Building. It has an awesome history.

Ryujin

Legend
Afraid that I saw the twist coming a mile away, but enjoyed it anyway. I don't think that we get enough of these, "What do they do, after?" stories and Stallone fit the bill.

Art Waring

halozix.com
It was entertaining enough, but some parts were a little lacking (like the villain, meh).

I don't think it was trying to live up to other superhero films or do something new, and it shouldn't have to, I think it was just trying to do its own thing.

For being its own thing, it was at least entertaining and not full of itself or OTT.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I think the bad guy's girlfriend died in a dumb way. She should've gone down fighting, or taking the hit for what's his face.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It was OK. It has an interesting mood to it. It feels kinda set in the 1970s except for the technology like cell phones and modern cars (except the bad guys' cars are older cars!). Granite City felt like RoboCop's Detroit.

I too saw the "twist" coming from the opening monologue, but I'm not sure we are supposed to be fooled. Sure they play dramatic music when Stallone shouts "I am the bad guy!" but that could just be the drama of the reveal to Cyrus and Sam (who do not know what the audience knows), highlighting their reactions.

I did want more background on what happened between him and his brother, both before and during their final fight. Like, what really was the beef between them? I got they had more of a difference over their approach, like Superman vs Batman. Speaking of Batman, I got a real The Dark Knight Rises Bane vibe from Cyrus' wearing a fur-lined leather jacket and mask, giving a speech to the citizens.

And what did Nemesis (the original) think would happen if he lured his brother into a trap to fight, after he had made a hammer that could seriously hurt him? The last minute "oh I don't really want you to die" decision seems to come out of the blue.

I did love the move where he leaps over the car, pulling it on its side to block the explosion.

R_J_K75

Legend
Nice to see Edys Ice Cream and Checkers getting product placement.
Afraid that I saw the twist coming a mile away, but enjoyed it anyway.
I didn't but I already had about 5 Budweiser's at the start and was texting a friend while watching it. What did I miss? In RPGs Im a better DM than a PC as I tend to vedge out when the DM is explaining the details.
I liked it, nothing new or innovative and predictable, nice twist, stallone being stallone
I don't think it was trying to live up to other superhero films or do something new, and it shouldn't have to, I think it was just trying to do its own thing.
I liked the Granite City/Gotham City vibe. The beginning of the end fight scene was great until it got to the one liners.
I did want more background on what happened between him and his brother, both before and during their final fight.
I'm glad they didn't. Leaves it open for a pre-sequel.

All in all, since I've been an Amazon Prime "Friends and Family" member for the last 10 years off my buddy it was worth it. I liked it, it was everything and nothing more than I expected it to be...A Stallone movie.

Question: In all his latest movies doesn't Sly seem to be this hermit junk collector or hermit metal worker, etc?

aco175

Legend
I did not find it terrible. There was a scene where Rocky Samaritan was training the kid how to fight that reminded me of another movie- or eight.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I liked the Granite City/Gotham City vibe. The beginning of the end fight scene was great until it got to the one liners.
Yeah that's where the meh comes in, but overall I liked the gritty tone of the film. A gem in the rough.

I also saw several rocky moments, but being Stallone, if you have seen the Expendables, they play into the action hero stereotypes quite a bit, but with a bit of humor.

Remove ads