• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Rogue Games] Stranglehold Taps Out!

rogue_richard

Explorer
Dateline Chicago...

Rogue Games received a letter from a law firm.

The letter?

A Cease and Desist notice from Midway Games over the title Stranglehold.

Rogue Games has to change the name of the game four days before Gen Con and try to get new copies printed in time.

The Rogues are glad they only printed a few copies, and that they did not solicit the Main Event Edition. It could not have come at a worse time, but in the end The Rogues think this works out for the best.

So, will the Game-That-Cannot-Be-Named be renamed? Yes.

Will the Game-That-Cannot-Be-Named be at Gen Con? We hope so. It will be tight.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Sorry to hear about that -- and I bet if you could afford a lawyer the case wouldn't stand a chance in hell in court, especially given that your games are about entirely different things, in different media, and it's not as if Stranglehold is some brand new invented term (there are, in fact, five different movies with that title).

You could call them and see if they'll cover your re-printing costs, given how small they likely are compared to the expenses they'd have trying to enforce the claim. Admittedly, it'd take an ornery "go ahead and take us to court -- it'll cost them a bunch of lawyer fees and at worse you'll have to reprint a few PODs" attitude.

It always irks me to see companies with staffs of lawyers try to shove people around with these sorts of cease and desists.

rogue_richard

Explorer
2WS-Steve said:
Sorry to hear about that -- and I bet if you could afford a lawyer the case wouldn't stand a chance in hell in court, especially given that your games are about entirely different things, in different media, and it's not as if Stranglehold is some brand new invented term (there are, in fact, five different movies with that title).

You could call them and see if they'll cover your re-printing costs, given how small they likely are compared to the expenses they'd have trying to enforce the claim. Admittedly, it'd take an ornery "go ahead and take us to court -- it'll cost them a bunch of lawyer fees and at worse you'll have to reprint a few PODs" attitude.

It always irks me to see companies with staffs of lawyers try to shove people around with these sorts of cease and desists.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the timing stinks, but you know, life goes on. It happened pretty fast, and there is only so much we can do on the weekend. In the end this will work out for the best. Hell it is not every day a new company gets noticed this way. :)

I should know more tomorrow if we can get the Trashcan to Gen Con. It is going to be an interesting few days.

Still, at least Colonial Gothic will be there. I have the boxes right next to me. :)

Richard

Remove ads