• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Revised 6E prediction thread

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think it would actually be easier and less confusing to give each class it's own set of names for ability types, and only copy names when you copy mechanics as well. Because at the end of the day, a player only needs to understand one class at a time.

It might look like more work on the part of the dm, but most dms can and do lean on player to know their own stuff. Those of us who dig in will see the patterns, but that's only really useful when you're looking to homebrew new content - something that doesn't need to be obvious.

Well that's how it would look anyway.

The Babarbian only one with Rages by default. The Fighter would be the Manuever user. The Monk would have Martial Arts. etc. The default would mostly attach one power/feature type to a single or pair of classes. Only a few of them would break the rules likehow their wouldbe several spell users. Or how Wizards have Cantrips, Spells, and Rituals.

Only later via variants, DM houserules, and future books would they really combine. When Xanatar's 2 comes out with the Kensei that uses Martial Arts and Manuevers or a Swashbuckler with Maneuvers and Tricks, then a player would have to truly know both.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Maybe we'll see Magic and D&D combine more.

Creating a character will take a form which is akin to building a deck.
No lie, this sounds like something I'd see on Kickstarter. Probably with a banner underneath it saying that it was fully-funded in like an hour and new stretch goals have already been added.

And knowing me, I'd take one look and say "Oooo, a new way to build a character in 5E? Heck yeah I've got ten bucks, let's see what you can do with it!"

JEB

Legend
Since "a future version" wont need to introduce D&D from nothing to many of its fans and likely wont be so focused on expanding the net of potential fans, it wont need to be as simplistic as 5e.
I sincerely doubt Wizards of the Coast will ever move away from a D&D that's highly accessible to new fans. So I'd be very surprised if they did anything to make it more complicated, at least in the core rules. If anything, I expect future editions to become even more streamlined (something that the recent moves on character races will actually enable).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I sincerely doubt Wizards of the Coast will ever move away from a D&D that's highly accessible to new fans. So I'd be very surprised if they did anything to make it more complicated, at least in the core rules. If anything, I expect future editions to become even more streamlined (something that the recent moves on character races will actually enable).

There are different approaches of accessibility.

If 75% of your classes are spellcasters and each of them use spells a different way, new fans only have to learn the spell system but it's a complicated subsystem that warrants it's only big chapter in the PHB.

If your new players decide to be a barbarian, bard, and paladin and those classes use the rage, cantrip and song, and channel and smite subsystems respectively, then they don't need to learn the spell subsystem to play. Just a streamlined magic chapter.
  • Artificer
    • Cantrips
    • Infusions
  • Barbarian
    • Rages
  • Bard
    • Cantrips
    • Songs
  • Cleric
    • Channels
    • Orisons
    • Prayers
  • Druid
    • Orisons
    • Prayers
  • Fighter
    • Strikes
    • Maneuvers
  • Monk
    • Techniques
  • Paladin
    • Smites
  • Ranger
    • Marks
  • Rogue
    • Tricks
  • Sorcerer
    • Cantrips
    • Sorceries
  • Warlock
    • Cantrips
    • Invocations
  • Wizard
    • Cantrips
    • Spells

There are different approaches of accessibility.
True.
If 75% of your classes are spellcasters and each of them use spells a different way, new fans only have to learn the spell system but it's a complicated subsystem that warrants it's only big chapter in the PHB.

If your new players decide to be a barbarian, bard, and paladin and those classes use the rage, cantrip and song, and channel and smite subsystems respectively, then they don't need to learn the spell subsystem to play. Just a streamlined magic chapter.
  • Artificer
    • Cantrips
    • Infusions
  • Barbarian
    • Rages
  • Bard
    • Cantrips
    • Songs
  • Cleric
    • Channels
    • Orisons
    • Prayers
  • Druid
    • Orisons
    • Prayers
  • Fighter
    • Strikes
    • Maneuvers
  • Monk
    • Techniques
  • Paladin
    • Smites
  • Ranger
    • Marks
  • Rogue
    • Tricks
  • Sorcerer
    • Cantrips
    • Sorceries
  • Warlock
    • Cantrips
    • Invocations
  • Wizard
    • Cantrips
    • Spells
But this absurdly incomprehensible approach aint one of them.

Here is a clue - at least one player needs to know and understand ALL the rules, so taking a compartmentalised "you don't need to know that" approach won't work. In practise it's a team game, so everyone needs to have at least a rough idea of how the other classes work so they can cooperate effectively.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
True.

But this absurdly incomprehensible approach aint one of them.

Here is a clue - at least one player needs to know and understand ALL the rules, so taking a compartmentalised "you don't need to know that" approach won't work. In practise it's a team game, so everyone needs to have at least a rough idea of how the other classes work so they can cooperate effectively.

How so? You are making a judgment without knowning the difference between a prayer and a spell.

Wizard casting and Cleric/Druid casting are not that much different. The point is to codify the differences in proper names so player can learn and use the ideas in easy to understand lingo.

Spells are prepared from spellbooks, users can have multiple spellbooks, and they are Intelligence based. They use magic slots that are recharged on long rest.
Prayers are gifted from dieties, users have access the whole list of the magic level they are, and they are Wisdom based. They use magic slots that are recharged on long rest.
Songs are known from memory, users have a limit of songs known, and they are Charisma based. They use magic slots that are recharged on long rest.
Invocations are known from memory, users have a limit of invocations known, and they are Charisma based. They use magic slots that are recharged on short or long rest.
Sorceries are known from memory, users have a limit of sorceries known, and they are Charisma based. They use magic slots or sorcery points that are recharged on long rest.

Almost the same rules as now but now you don't have to read a different SPELLCASTING sections for each class and subclass.

"Eldritch knights cast spells. Got it."
"My fey heritage lets me cast misty step as an invocation, song, or sorcery."
"As a level 5 kensei, i get 3 maneuvers and 5 techniques."
"The orc cheiftan has Bear Totem Rage and Menacing Attack Maneuver. I will swap it to Sweeping attack since the party has sidekicks in it."

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
How so? You are making a judgment without knowning the difference between a prayer and a spell.

Wizard casting and Cleric/Druid casting are not that much different. The point is to codify the differences in proper names so player can learn and use the ideas in easy to understand lingo.

Spells are prepared from spellbooks, users can have multiple spellbooks, and they are Intelligence based. They use magic slots that are recharged on long rest.
Prayers are gifted from dieties, users have access the whole list of the magic level they are, and they are Wisdom based. They use magic slots that are recharged on long rest.
Songs are known from memory, users have a limit of songs known, and they are Charisma based. They use magic slots that are recharged on long rest.
Invocations are known from memory, users have a limit of invocations known, and they are Charisma based. They use magic slots that are recharged on short or long rest.
Sorceries are known from memory, users have a limit of sorceries known, and they are Charisma based. They use magic slots or sorcery points that are recharged on long rest.

Almost the same rules as now but now you don't have to read a different SPELLCASTING sections for each class and subclass.

"Eldritch knights cast spells. Got it."
"My fey heritage lets me cast misty step as an invocation, song, or sorcery."
"As a level 5 kensei, i get 3 maneuvers and 5 techniques."
"The orc cheiftan has Bear Totem Rage and Menacing Attack Maneuver. I will swap it to Sweeping attack since the party has sidekicks in it."
I would simplify your system to spells for arcane casters and something else for divine casters make the difference simple but obviuse.

Having any difference is poor design. It's complication for the sake of complication. Anything that can use the same rules should use the same rules, so players only have one rule to learn.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Having any difference is poor design. It's complication for the sake of complication. Anything that can use the same rules should use the same rules, so players only have one rule to learn.
It's not "just one rule". That's the issue.
Every caster uses the rule differently. And the rule is already huge.

So you might as well named them different things, streamline them, and teach them individually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads