• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions that need answering???

sylvyr

First Post
To dual wiled or not? That is the question.

Is dual wileding worth it or not? Cause I like the feel and style of Dual wielding, particularly two katanas, but in 3e it seams like dual wielding got the shaft. What do you guys think?

Also, I heard mention of a feat that could be in the Barbarian, Rangers & Druids (Forgot the name) manual called Power Critical. Someone said it increased the critical modifier, as opposed to the threat range. Is this simply speculation, or is there some kinda preview of the books out? Thanx,

---Sylvyr Angel

pontus

First Post
sylvyr said:
Is dual wileding worth it or not?
Unless you're a rogue or willing to min-max. Not. Except that it might fit your character concept.
Also, I heard mention of a feat that could be in the Barbarian, Rangers & Druids (Forgot the name) manual called Power Critical. Someone said it increased the critical modifier, as opposed to the threat range. Is this simply speculation
As far as I know, it's only speculation. But it is a reasonable guess.

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
For a straight fighter-type, it is generally better to just wield a two-handed weapon (like the good old greatsword). Dual wielding is only profitable when you can add hefty modifiers to each attack... like a rogue's sneak attack.
Dual wielding two katans would not work well. Since neither is a light weapon, the penalties to your attack rolls would be annoyingly large.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is the subject of some debate. No, scratch that - it's an ugly can of worms :)

From what I know of crunching the numbers, dual wielding is, inferior in average damage dealing capability to using a two-handed weapon. But that's in the basic case.

When you start getting magic weapons, I think the numbers change. Specifically, for a person with low strength bonus, and when dealing with magic weapons that add dice of damage, have high enhancement bonuses, or impressive criticals. I'm not sure what happens in the case of Weapon Finesse, or Improved critical or the like.

So, if the appropriate magical weapons are (eventually) available, and you don't have much strength bonus to begin with, dual wielding may be the right choice. If you're a big clumsy brute, perhaps it isn't.

sylvyr

First Post
Well I have an 18 str. I was thinking that it was a little out of scew but, there's not much I can do about it if its jacked up. What I was thinking of was taking improved crit, and then taking this rumored (provided it even exists) critical feat, that way I could seriously deal some damage.

Here's my class levels monk1/fighter7/Iajutsu master7. My goal was to make a kick a sword fighter with katanas, but... The fact that the fighter/kensai in the group consistently does more damage is kinda irritating. Anyhow....

---Sylvyr Angel

sylvyr

First Post
Another question,

Could I take a level as a ranger, then take imp two-weapon fighting? As long as I'm not wearing armor (Which I'm not and I have an AC of 33) I should be okay? That would leave open feets to be used for weapon spcialization and the like.

---Sylvyr Angel

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
sylvyr said:
Another question,

Could I take a level as a ranger, then take imp two-weapon fighting?

Yes, you could. But really, is taking only a single level of a wilderness oriented class part of your character concept? Taking a class merely for it's combat potential is... well, it's on the weaker end of role-playing, now isn't it?

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
TWF and fighting with a two-handed weapon is very roughly equivalent. If you are very strong it tips toward two-handed.

My problem with this situation is that you need 3-4 feat to master TWF and none for two-handed.

Obviously for balance purpose TWF should be a little better than using a two-handed weapon. Not 2nd edition better, just a little better.

And don't tell me TWF is for rogue. Spending 4 feats to use a two-bladed sword efficiently is clearly a fighter schtick.

Easy fix: what I did is allow full strenght bonus on off-hand attack and eliminate the need to select improved TWF. You gain it automatically upon reaching a BAB of +8 if you have TWF.

Oh, and I do not want to no how sylvir can have an AC of 33 unarmored and still get two wield two katana efficiently.

sylvyr

First Post
Not really in this case. I'm not into min maxing, I just want to creat a bad a sword fighter. There are many items out there that could increase my con of 10, but that's not what my chars about. Anyways, a level of barbarian or ranger would be in order, seeing as how my char is envolved in a LOT of forrest/wilderness adventures.

---Sylvyr Angel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads