• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Option Retroclone

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Is anyone working on a Player's Option Retroclone? Is anyone even interested in such a thing?

I'm not really interested in a completely faithful clone-- I still have my original books-- but the more I think about it, the more I think my ideal D&D would be something like BECMI + Player's Option, with a robust martial arts system built from Complete Ninja's Handbook and Combat & Tactics, with select few features from later editions.

Citan Uzuki

Explorer
I've essentially done something similar with my D&D campaigns - I've got a collection of 41 2nd edition books, and I compiled and edited things that I felt were good, needed work, or needed adjustment for my world.

I see nothing wrong with putting things together and editing them to fit your creations. :3 I did the same thing with the martial arts as well, taking bits from Oriental Adventures, Ninja's Handbook, and Combat & Tactics. I did it with the weapon styles as well.

I've adjusted many things, or put them together.. even made exceptions to rules, with balance adjustments. Just keep in mind play balance, and I think it'll be good. I'm almost always tweaking, though. XD

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Biggest thing I ever did with Player's Option was use Skills & Powers and Spells & Magic to reclass it so that there were more class options, and then shuffled around the allowed classes to demihumans so they weren't all variations of Fighter, Thief, and Cleric.

I don't know... I suppose I'm thinking of keeping more elements of modern D&D than I thought, since I want to use standardized XP tables. (Specifically so that I can have a rational multiclassing and over-classing system.)

Dorian_Grey

First Post
I started a project like this, but had to give it up due to time constraints. Joys of working a job where you end up having 14 hour days. Additionally, I find that the 5e rules are pretty good, and am instead going to focus on porting stuff over that I liked - or just finding a 2e group to play with :)

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
My biggest stumbling block is that I don't know what to do with the saving throw math-- AD&D and modern D&D are built on different assumptions on how saving throws should work. AD&D assumes that higher-level characters will make the majority of their saving throws, while modern D&D assumes that the higher the level, the more likely targets are to fail saving throws against level-appropriate challenges.

Remove ads