• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Perma Death in 5e?

S'mon

Legend
What do you think are some of the best ways under 5e rules for an evil level 20 Wizard (who might be called Runelord Karzoug) with near-unlimited resources to ensure the permanent demise of slain & Disintegrated level 20 PCs (whose surviving comrades also have access to level 9 magic, including True Resurrection)? Asking for a friend. :D

Shiroiken

Legend
In an epic level one shot, we managed to "kill" Halaster permanently. The hexblade killed him, causing him to rise as a spector, then we cast Demi-plane. Undead Halaster was ordered to enter the demi-plane, and we each chose a hidden item to include in the demi-plane so that no one could know the full contents (preventing anyone from ever opening the demi-plane). Since the body still existed, just completely unavailable, this would prevent True Resurrection from working. In theory a Wish could return him, but that's because Wish and theoretically break any rule.

The Wish spell counters pretty much any method of preventing resurrection.

If the arty have access to wish, as far as I'm aware, the only way to prevent the party being able to bring back their comrades is to not kill them in the first place, just to imprison them.

Even True Resurrection explicitly requires touching the body and for the soul to be free to enter the body. This means you can either contain the soul, hide the body, or even resurrect the victim and either Mindwipe them or cast Imprisonment.

As far as I know the only canon spell to trap the soul is Soul Cage in Xanathar's - that must be cast straight after the victim dies. If the victim is dead then you'd either need a custom spell or to use Wish to summon then Soul Cage. Once you have a soul trapped then you can pretty much torture them into accepting resurrection.

Best place to store the victim? I can't agree it's a demi-plane. It's a nice shiny gem literally worn by the possible Runelord. Or rather a gem within a gem so the gem made from compressing the dust (coal -> diamond style) can't actually be touched. And the runelord gets to taunt the PCs at the next meeting.

In an epic level one shot, we managed to "kill" Halaster permanently. The hexblade killed him, causing him to rise as a spector, then we cast Demi-plane. Undead Halaster was ordered to enter the demi-plane, and we each chose a hidden item to include in the demi-plane so that no one could know the full contents (preventing anyone from ever opening the demi-plane). Since the body still existed, just completely unavailable, this would prevent True Resurrection from working. In theory a Wish could return him, but that's because Wish and theoretically break any rule.
Wouldn't Gate also work to enter the demi-plane?

Shiroiken

Legend
Wouldn't Gate also work to enter the demi-plane?
Upon reading Gate, that might work depending on the DM. The question becomes if a "creature" includes the corpse of said creature. I'd allow it, but others might not. I guess it isn't a perfect perma-death, but I can't think of anything closer in 5E (besides using a Wish to cheat).

S'mon

Legend
Even True Resurrection explicitly requires touching the body

Yeah, I think the group has agreed on this - helps that another player GMs and he just made the same ruling in his own game - which keeps it simple. I think some confusion arises due to 3e True Res spell not having that limitation, and some people think the 'creates new body' line abrogates the 'touch a creature' line.

Remove ads