• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladinlock build advice

So I am trying to balance a short-rest class with a long-rest class, such that the end result is not overly penalized for playing in a group that focuses one either rest type. The most obvious example of this combo in my mind is a paladin-warlock. What do people think about a paladinlock? Any advice on builds?

Thanks in advance! :)

Try to find a good backstory. How you became a warlock. Other than that you can't do wrong.
Charisma high. Strength too. And then Raise levels how you see fit. Start with Paladin.

MarkB

Legend
Oath of Vengeance and pretty much any pact also works well. You swore to avenge your loved ones, and then made a bargain with an otherworldly being who offered to give you the power to do so.

pdegan2814

First Post
Try to find a good backstory. How you became a warlock. Other than that you can't do wrong.
Charisma high. Strength too. And then Raise levels how you see fit. Start with Paladin.

The choice of Patron can go a long way towards addressing this, too. Find a Patron that is warrior-flavored, one that doesn't just look for "clients", but looks for guardians, champions, etc.

jayoungr's suggestion is a good one. An Archfey Patron combined with the Oath Of Ancients has lots of RP synergy. Oath of Vengeance would probably work with any type of Patron, as well.

Yeah. Sounds good.
I would then be paladin 3, warlock 2. I would maybe take eldritch blast with agonizing blast and booming or greenflame blade so you are ready for level 5. Depending on my choice gow far I would take the paladin, I would take pact of the blade or pact of the chain.
If you want to be paladin level 5 or 6 for the aura, I would take pact of the chain for your sprite or feary dreagon friend. Increase charisma and strength in tandem.

Half elf would be a natural fit (pun intended).
If you use standard array, make it

Str 15+1
Dex 10
Con 13+1
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 14+2

You should easily carry your weight and have an interesting character. Your peak should be level 8 when you have 2 attacks, a good ranged option. A lot of 3d8 smites. You have a familiar capable of granting you advantage without dying all the time.

gyor

Legend
You can also go with a Warlock who becomes a Paladin as Atonement for any evils they've done.

Also Paladin who is driven mad temperarily after seeing a Star Pact Patron in person and makes a pact in that madden state, yet later recovers with helped from love ones.

Then there is the possiblity that someone else makes a pact on your behalf. Ancestor X offers evil artifact to an Archdevil, but as part of the deal, Ancestor X and their descendants gain warlock powers. Basically Ancestor X prepayed for your pact, which given you don't have to give anything for, comes automatically into effect.

I also had an idea for an Aasimar where they make a Warlock Pact with they're Angellic Guide. Like maybe your guide has some kind of tie to a Fey God or is a Fey God, or your Guide has Fallen and become a fiend rescently and didn't tell you, until after tricking you into a pact, offers a seeker pact, or is a Divine Minion of... or is a Mortal that ascended into becoming an immortal Celestial while alive and offers you an Undying Pact, or you Angellic Guide got eaten by a powerful Aboleth who is pretending to your guide and tricks you into a Pact.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Oath of vengeance or oathbreaker combined with infernal bladelock is a nice tanky build when you combine smites with temp hitpoints.

Thanks for the advice. My group is non-SCAG, and non-UA (core I guess you would say). So lots of those options are off the table.

Fey/Ancients is so perfect storywise that I'd file it under 'possibly too obvious.' I will definitely think about it (what to take blade/chain/tome-wise?).

Vengeance/Fiend works pretty well (and reduces the number of levels you would want to take in paladin from 7 or 8 to 6). What would you do with this in the blade/chain/tome choice? Blade would work if you were going pal2war18, but that seems like a waste of the paladin aura. Chain has its uses, but my DM tends to kill familiars with surprising regularity. Tome... I normally see people choose this to pick up shillelagh. I there anything else that is a good use for it? Can ritual magic be helpful for this build at all?

Remove ads