• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR OSR Tropes Extinct in 5E

darjr

I crit!
You can do all that in 5e. As far as fountains go see the chwinga in ToA, fountains that walk, or the Naga, spoilers.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I miss the "hexcrawl" format. The Isle of Dread remains one of my favorite old-school adventure modules...I've adapted it to every version of D&D since the Rules Cyclopedia.

Volund

Explorer
Dungeon Levels
Dungeon levels were once considered the primary feature of the game environment but don't have the same significance today. To quote the very first instruction the White Box has for DM's, "First, the referee must draw out a minimum of half a dozen maps of the levels of his "underworld, ..." Descending into a lower dungeon level was meant to expose characters to a higher level of danger, and a feature of dungeon design was some sort of trick or trap that would deposit them in lower levels against their will. For me and probably many others who started with the Basic Set, the Sample Cross Section of Levels for Stone Mountain on p38 of the Holmes Basic Rules was the archetype. The dungeons themselves used to be the story. Today the story might move through a dungeon, but only in service of a plot that exists beyond the dungeon. I miss old school dungeons. (I don't miss the old school rules.)

I know but its a singular product (hence rare). Is ToA worth getting? I have only had a quick look through it but I have not bought a 5E AP since OotA as Strahd did not interest me and Storm Kings Thunder did not seem to be very popular/good.
My review can be found here.

I loved it. I quite liked Out of the Abyss and Curse of Strahd, but I leapt at the chance to squish ToA into my homegame.

Zardnaar

Legend
There are two more in SKT, and another one in the tie-in adventure, Cloud Giant's Bargain. In fact, SKT even refers back to Blagothkus and his sky castle from HotDQ.

Nice we have used it twice in the last few years. The Dead From Above in Quests of Doom and Plight of Cirria a 1E adventure I updated to 5E in Dungeon magazine.

I was a bit disappointed in OotA, CoS did not interested me. I had ran a giant themed hombrew for 5E so SKT did not interest me either.

I'm probably not in the target audience for AP's anyway I have had them since 2002. If you did not use Dungeon or play Pathfinder I suppose they are new.

ToA does intersest me but I don't think we have ever completed an AP.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Here I was thinking along the lines of magazines in print, monthly releases, adventure modules under 50 pages, miniatures made with lead, computer games with really bad graphics but still more playable than any D&D title in the last decade, that sort of thing. But, yeah. Magic fountains! What happened to gaming?! Ye gods!

Remove ads