• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Prestige Class: Yellow-Bellied Coward

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Felix said:
There's another name for this PrC:

Disciple of Rincewind.

Somewhere in the archives you'll find my Poltroon class which is primarily based on Rincewind (with a good mix of Shaggy and Scooby doo)

The Poltroon gets abilities similar to Run Away, Get Off Me and Slippery Retreat as well as abilities which include "Distraction: Using a bluff attempt the Poltroon can deny the ability of one opponent to act for the round during which the Poltroon must run away"

I'll have to dig it up...

trav_laney

First Post
ivocaliban said:
I made a couple few lot of adjustments to make this PrC fit my swashbuckling campaign:

EDIT: Decided to remove Lucky Bastard and replace it with...

Excellent revisions! I'm updating my hardcopy as I type this...

1. Yes, the full BAB was an oversight on my part. It should be equal to that of a cleric, at best.

2. Nonlawful alignment is more accurate than chaotic-only. Good call.

3. Left the BAB requirement at +4, however. I didn't really see a reason to change it.

4. Left the Escape Artist requirement at 3 ranks...8 was too high, IMO. Otherwise, most classes couldn't qualify for this class until they were 13th level. (I am trying to avoid making this a rogue-only PrC.)

5. Added a Bluff requirement, but dropped it to 3 ranks. Good call, again.

6. Added a Lucky Bastard ability, but changed it completely. Instead of granting a bonus feat, it grants the YBC the granted power of the Luck domain:

Lucky Bastard (Su): at 2nd level, the Yellowbellied Coward gains the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows him to reroll one roll that he has just made (before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure.) The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it's worse than the original roll.

7. I like the chicken ability...although I admit it is campy and rediculious. If you have a high-humor campaign, it's perfect. Otherwise, you should probably replace it with this one:

Vanish (Sp): At 5th level, the Yellowbellied Coward has learned the perfect way to get out of trouble. Once per day, he may transport himself (and his gear, but not another creature) to any point up to 600 feet away as if affected by the dimension door spell. Using this ability is a standard action, and the Yellowbellied Coward may use this ability while silenced, grappled, or even pinned. When he uses this ability, he vanishes cartoon-style in a vaguely humanoid-shaped puff of dust.

But, like I said...I'm keeping the chicken. :)

8. Doubled the benefit of the Improved Speed ability (to +20 feet per round). Good call, Felix.

ivocaliban

First Post
trav_laney said:
Left the BAB requirement at +4, however. I didn't really see a reason to change it.
My only problem with the BAB requirement is that it makes it seems a bit strange for a cowardly PrC. Couldn't a fighter 4/rogue 1 could get access to the PrC before a rogue 5?

trav_laney said:
Left the Escape Artist requirement at 3 ranks...8 was too high, IMO. Otherwise, most classes couldn't qualify for this class until they were 13th level. (I am trying to avoid making this a rogue-only PrC.)
I can understand that. I just assumed it would take a multi-class level of rogue or bard to make much use of the PrC anyway. A pure fighter still can't get it until he's 10th level with Escape Artist at 5 (as in the original post...did you lower it to 3?). Seems a bit of a long way to go for a cowardly fighter.

trav_laney said:
Added a Lucky Bastard ability, but changed it completely. Instead of granting a bonus feat, it grants the YBC the granted power of the Luck domain:

Lucky Bastard (Su): at 2nd level, the Yellowbellied Coward gains the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows him to reroll one roll that he has just made (before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure.) The character must take the result of the reroll, even if it's worse than the original roll.
Yep, think I prefer that, too.

trav_laney said:
I like the chicken ability...although I admit it is campy and rediculious. If you have a high-humor campaign, it's perfect. Otherwise, you should probably replace it with this one:

Vanish (Sp): At 5th level, the Yellowbellied Coward has learned the perfect way to get out of trouble. Once per day, he may transport himself (and his gear, but not another creature) to any point up to 600 feet away as if affected by the dimension door spell. Using this ability is a standard action, and the Yellowbellied Coward may use this ability while silenced, grappled, or even pinned. When he uses this ability, he vanishes cartoon-style in a vaguely humanoid-shaped puff of dust.

But, like I said...I'm keeping the chicken. :)
No question that Chicken is hilarious. Just doesn't fly (har har) in my campaign. I'm trying to keep it as low magic as possible. Run Away! is just about as magical as I want to get.

I still think adding Tumble is a good idea. There's no better skill for getting out of a jam.

Good stuff all around!

Sigurd

First Post
On my front

Very interesting class.

Changes for my use.

Added Vanish & Leave for Dead at lev 5 (I love Vanish but its very powerful) Removed chicken - sorry...
Moved Improved Speed 20' (good call) to Level 4, Removed Bull Rush

Entry Reqs
3 Bluff, 3 Escape Artist, 3 Bab
Added Special - Must have run from a battle where a friend died.
Feats - Run, Dodge* *If forced into this class by curse or circumstance a character may\must convert 2 feats to fulfill this requirement. The character must loose _all_ benefits from the previous feats.

Custom BAB: -1,0,+1,+2,+3

(The character takes a hit in first level but comes to terms with his\her cowardice by the 5th. Besides I want to see a dip that lowers BAB :))

Sigurd

Last edited:

trav_laney

First Post
Sigurd said:
Custom BAB: -1,0,+1,+2,+3

(The character takes a hit in first level but comes to terms with his\her cowardice by the 5th. Besides I want to see a dip that lowers BAB :))
How about NO base attack progression? Too heavy-handed?

And yes, being able to dimension door once per day is pretty powerful, I admit. But being able to wild shape into a Tiny animal is something that druids don't get to do until they are 11th level...

...oh well. I thought it was balanced, anyway. If we keep the qualifications for this class at around 6th-8th level, by the time the YBC gets to use Vanish, he will be about an 11th level character. Dimension door or Tiny wild shape 1/day seems to be about par for that level.

Last edited:

ivocaliban

First Post
I can't leave this class alone! *heh* I like some of your changes, too, Sigurd. Particularly the "Special" requirement and the removal of Improved Bull Rush. It's lead me to this:

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any non-lawful.
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Bluff (4 ranks), Escape Artist (4 ranks), Hide (2 ranks)
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Run
Special: The character must be susceptible to fear and fear-based attacks.
Special: Must have run from a battle in which a friend died.

Code:
LV   BAB  Fort   Ref  Will   Special
1    +0    +0    +2    +0    Run Away!, Panic Attack 1/day, Skittish
2    +1    +0    +3    +0    Get ‘Em Off Me!, Distract Opponent 
3    +1    +1    +3    +1    Panic Attack 2/day, Fast Movement +10, Hasty Retreat
4    +2    +1    +4    +1    Slippery Fighter, Lucky Bastard
5    +2    +1    +4    +1    Panic Attack 3/day, Fast Movement +20, Left For Dead

1. I really can't get the prerequisites quite where I want them. No matter how I tweak it a fighter/rogue combination can gain access to the PrC before a pure rogue or pure fighter: At BAB back to +4 would mean the fighter 8, rogue 6, fighter 4/rogue 1 could gain access. Swashbuckler can gain access at level 4. It still doesn't quite fit my concept of a coward to have his entry to this PrC dependant on a BAB equal to the requirements for a Dread Pirate or a Vigilante. I'm thinking of adding Evasion as a requirement. (Sorry, trav!)

2. Added Mobility as prerequisite feat.

2. Changed the BAB to that of a wizard.

3. Thanks to Tonguez I'm stealing the Poltroon's "Diversion" ability and changing it to:

Distract Opponent (Ex): At 2nd level the Yellowbellied Coward has learned the subtle art of distraction and can momentarily divert the attention of a single foe. First, the Yellowbellied Coward must choose an opponent no further than 10 feet away from his current position. Then, as a swift action the Yellowbellied Coward must succeed on an Bluff check opposed by his opponent's Sense Motive check. If successful, the chosen foe can make no attacks or threatening actions against the Yellowbellied Coward for the remainder of the round. If the Yellowbellied Coward chooses to attack or make a threatening action against an opponent distracted in this manner, the effect ends immediately. The Yellowbellied Coward can use this ability once per day. This ability has no affect on creatures with an Intelligence score of 2 or less.

4. Broke up Improved Speed to be like the Monk ability. Changed the name to Fast Movement. (Thanks again, Tonguez!)

5. I changed Slippery Retreat to Hasty Retreat because it requires you to be moving at your maximum run speed and I just liked the sound of it.

6. Moved Lucky Bastard (Luck domain version) to 4th level. I also removed Improved Bull Rush feat. I know you don't want this to be a rogue class, but I still think Tumble is more appropriate for cowardly types than Bull Rush. No matter how you crack it this class ends up being best (or at least easiest) for a fighter/rogue character.

Last edited:

trav_laney

First Post
ivocaliban said:
Code:
LV   BAB  Fort   Ref  Will   Special
1    +0    +0    +2    +0    Run Away!, Panic Attack 1/day, Skittish
2    +1    +0    +3    +0    Get ‘Em Off Me!, Distract Opponent 1/day
3    +1    +1    +3    +1    Panic Attack 2/day, Improved Speed +10, Hasty Retreat
4    +2    +1    +4    +1    Slippery Fighter, Distract Opponent 2/day, Lucky Bastard
5    +2    +1    +4    +1    Panic Attack 3/day, Improved Speed +20, Left For Dead
That feels like a lot of class abilities crammed into 5 levels. I think that if we are going to increment the base movement rate bonuses, and if we are going to include Distract Opponent, Lucky Bastard, and Left for Dead, we should probably make this a 10-level class.

ivocaliban

First Post
trav_laney said:
That feels like a lot of class abilities crammed into 5 levels. I think that if we are going to increment the base movement rate bonuses, and if we are going to include Distract Opponent, Lucky Bastard, and Left for Dead, we should probably make this a 10-level class.

I tried that, but I don't think it works very well. Keep in mind, I'm not using Vanish or Chicken or Improved Bull Rush. And now the BAB is pretty pathetic (but on par with the Fortune's Friend PrC from Complete Scoundrel). I knocked Distract Opponent down to once a day and it can only be used against intelligent foes.

What about adding Mobility to the feat requirements? Too much? Or perhaps Fleet of Foot from Complete Warrior? Allows you to change direction once while running or charging. Requires Run and Dex 15, though. >.>

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Here one of my drafts of the Poltroon I know I changed it but can't find the final version:(

Poltroon
Alignment Any non-Lawful
HD 6

Good saves Reflex & Will

Level Abilities
1 Baffle, Improved Speed +10, Troubled
2 Trap Sense, Mobility
3 Evasion, Diversion
4 Uncanny Dodge, Baffle + 4
5 Improved Speed +20
6 Matyr for Luck +2
7 Improved Evasion, Baffle +6
8 Matyr for Luck +3
9 Improved Uncanny Dodge
10 Matyr for Luck +4, Abundant Step

Troubled: Poltroons are cursed to attract trouble no matter how hard them try to avoid it. Random monsters are attarcted to the Poltroon, and the Poltroon is always targeted first by any hostile opponent.
Baffle: The Poltroon gains a +2 bonus to escape artist checks made to escape Grapple attempts
Diversion: The Poltroon can use a bluff attempt to divert the attention of an opponent denying them the chance to act for one round during which the Poltroon must run away. The opponent gets a Will save DC 13. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect
Matyr for Luck: If the Poltroon takes damage from any source (including accidental damage but not 'self' inflicted) they gain a + 2 Luck bonus to AC, Saves and Skill use in the following round

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
trav_laney said:
How about NO base attack progression? Too heavy-handed?

When I first thought up the Poltroon I had actually considered giving it a negative BAb progression in return for which it would get an insanely huge AC I decided
1.that wasn't fun
2.it was too much work trying to balance AC +50 against BAb -10

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads