• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E New or returning players: an “on-ramp”?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New or returning players: an “on-ramp”?

I would be a returning player in this context. I see PF2 as an opportunity for me to check out the game again, and be in at the start. I’ve been a little overwhelmed and intimidated by the volume of lore and material for Pathfinder for years now.

Does anybody else see this as an on-ramp for them? A way to ease in without having to know about all those races and archetypes and stuff?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I only played Pathfinder once when it first came out. In this regard I consider myself a new player. A year before 5th Edition released I wanted to get in to it but the huge amount of books scared me off. So I see the new edition as an oportunity to dig in. Personally I like what little they have shown so far about the second edition.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Absolutely! And even more important to me, I am seeing a lot of new innovation that isn't just the same old ride around the haystack. And a lot of the older PF material will not be invalidated by world-shaking events. Which means there will be a ton of resources from the start. Plus all of those Adventure Paths are still viable. And those lovely pawns and map packs... I am so ready for this!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I suppose you could think of it that way. I’m very interested in what I’ve seen so far of PF2, and I will be new to Pathfinder if I end up adopting it. But, I wouldn’t say that the supplement backlog was what kept me away. For me it’s more the changes to the core system that may end up serving as my on-ramp, more so than the promise of being able to keep up with the edition from its beginning.

Yup, I have a fair back catalogue of PF1 stuff, especially the APs. But it's a burn out to DM. I'll deff check this out with the beta and then the core books, maybe the first AP.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I love 3.5e, but Pathfinder was too gonzo. We play mostly E6, with few supplements. So I will actually be evaluating P2 in that regard. It may be better, it may not be worth the work.

Fildrigar

Explorer
I certainly view it as an onramp, and will be checking out the playtest.

When PF first launched, I had zero interest in it. I had just come out of running a four year campaign, and was sick to death of 3/3.5e. I was way more excited to check out 4e. ( 'Course, I was underwhelmed and disappointed by 4e, but what are you going to do. ) When 5e launched, I dove headfirst into it and have been enjoying it. I do miss some of the customization options from 3/3.5, so will go into PF2 with an open mind.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Does anybody else see this as an on-ramp for them? A way to ease in without having to know about all those races and archetypes and stuff?
For me, more of an “in-flight refueling maneuver.” PF1 has gotten super-clunky for me for the past couple of years, and I even tried to convince my die-hard PF group to give 5e a try when they started feeling the same way. This concept has rejuvenated them, and if PF2 plays as good as it sounds, I can live with it and it may cut back on all the house rules.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Theoretically, it could be, but nothing I have heard about the new edition makes it an attractive option on the market in terms of offering something different from what I already have: if I wanted another fantasy RPG, there are many alternatives that offer something different as an experience from D&D.

Seems more like an effective off-ramp for those invested in PF1.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads