• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Monk Empowered Strike (new) vs Ki Strike (old): Are the monk's strikes automatically considered "magic" now by virtue of them being Force damage? Otherwise, there's now a gap for the monk against creatures with resistance/immunity to non-magical weapons.
I don't think there's a monster with resistance to "non-magical weapons". It's always "resistant to slashing/bludgeoning/piercing damage from non-magical weapons". So Force would absolutely go through that.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
They took the Heavy Armor versus extra Spell choice away from Subclass and made it a Level 1 choice. So you can be a heavy Armor or extra Spell focused War Cleric now. Effectively double the Subclass variety, since 2014 Subs were only one or the other.
I like that. It basically puts the decision as to whether to have Str or Dex as a secondary stat as a first level decision, where it belong.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Ugh, DoaM is still there. Pbbth. At least it's only on two weapons, and they're heavy, two-handed polearms. Easy to houserule away.

The new druid is amazing, though...especially the Circle of the Sea. I'm going to test this one out in a few weeks, when the party meets an NPC pirate.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Pretty much knew this was coming. I hate having players paging thru the MM..... But I get why people didn't like the alternative we were given....
We dont let them page through the MM during play...we adopt the theory that is something they "learn" to do, so if they want a new/different shape from what they normally like they should prep a stat block ahead of time.

Granted, we are aware that this constricts "spontaneous ideas" to a certain point...we try to be flexible and use "close enough" until they get the time to do their research.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads