• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee Ranger At-Wills?

A human ranger has pretty limited options when it comes to at-will powers. Twin Strike and Hit and Run are good, but what about the third power? Nimble Strike is ranged only and Careful Attack is less than worthless, as has been discussed in countless threads. I was looking forward to the Martial Power book solving this problem, but the only Ranger at-wills it offers are for the new Beast Mastery class feature.

Are there any other sources with ranger at-wills? Dragon articles, etc.?

You could take Twin-Strike twice?

Just kidding.
Would it become Quadruple-strike, 'cuz I'd take it then. :)

As a DM, I traded my group's human (wis-based) cleric a free channel divinity feat for his third at-will... one could argue that I traded useless for useless (Ioun's poise isn't really stellar) but it was at least potentially useful.

On the other hand, you could take Nimble Strike for use when you really don't want to get too close (things with auras, etc.) and have a few javelins on hand for such occasions. I often think it's worth (as soon as you can afford it) getting a simple +1 magic javelin and then upgrading it when you can spare the cash during levels 6-10, etc. if you're a str-based melee character.

Rafe

First Post
Careful Attack isn't horrible. It doesn't live up to the other Ranger at-wills, but it's not worthless.

You could allow a melee Ranger to take his/her third at-will from either Fighter or Rogue. That's relatively powerful, however, and would likely open up a can of worms from others at the table (especially if there's a Rogue or Fighter), but it's an option.

Personally, all the at-wills for Ranger should have been designed to account for either melee or ranged builds. It's quite limiting as it stands, though the ranged build Ranger has nice options.

Is there nothing in the Martial Powers sourcebook that could help?

cmbarona

First Post
Would it become Quadruple-strike, 'cuz I'd take it then. :)

As a DM, I traded my group's human (wis-based) cleric a free channel divinity feat for his third at-will... one could argue that I traded useless for useless (Ioun's poise isn't really stellar) but it was at least potentially useful.

On the other hand, you could take Nimble Strike for use when you really don't want to get too close (things with auras, etc.) and have a few javelins on hand for such occasions. I often think it's worth (as soon as you can afford it) getting a simple +1 magic javelin and then upgrading it when you can spare the cash during levels 6-10, etc. if you're a str-based melee character.

Um, not sure if this is what you are referring to, bu even heavy thrown weapons won't use Str. Which stat you use is power based, and so far only ranged basic attacks allow the heavy/light thrown flexibility (correct me if I'm wrong).

DracoSuave

First Post
Um, not sure if this is what you are referring to, bu even heavy thrown weapons won't use Str. Which stat you use is power based, and so far only ranged basic attacks allow the heavy/light thrown flexibility (correct me if I'm wrong).

You're right, but regardless, a Strength-based Ranger needs his AC Defense because he's in melee, and that means getting Dexterity anyways. If he's taking Dexterity, there's no reason why he can't take weapons designed to make him more flexible.

And, every character should have a ranged attack anyways.

My point was that even a ranged basic attack with a heavy thrown weapon is PROBABLY better than a ranged attack even with a power. My 18 STR (level 1) ranger can [at range] do +6 vs AC, 1d6+4, or (with 14 DEX) +4 vs AC, 1d10+2. Given that these damage values average to be the same (excluding crits which favor the bow) then I'll use the on which hits more often. If you happen to be carrying 16 DEX it would tip back toward the bow...

My melee ranger uses Chainmail and a double sword and two weapon defense (at least, TWD at level 6). I have Dex 14 at level 1 and will use the level 18 stat bump to make it 16, so it's 17 at epic when I want Heavy Blade Mastery. I would really prefer NOT to be in light armor with only 17 Dex at epic. :) My level 6 AC (assuming only +1 armor) is 10 + 3 (half level) + 6 (chain) + 1 (magic) + 1 (defensive) + 1 (TWD, comes with a nice reflex bonus too) = 22. So if you took the same defensive feats except chain, and had 16 dex, you'd be even (+3 hide +3 dex = +6 chain) but unless you're going to keep bumping dex, you're going to drop behind eventually, when the heavy armor gets masterwork bonuses (depends on use of AV or not). And if I ever get a feat to spare, I might pick up scale profiency [probably at paragon].

WalterKovacs

First Post
One roundabout solution is the gladiator feats that can make careful attack a bit more useful.

Ultimately, some classes can't use all the human abilities to maximum effect ... then again the same issue can be said of the half-elf's power, dwarve's armor ability, etc ... If nothing else, a human that goes for a paragon multiclass will have an easy choice for the at-will power swap ;)

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
2-weapon Ranger Human options: Careful Attack, Hit and Run, and Twin Strike
Not lots to pick from, but you have your 3

Bow Ranger Human options: Careful Attack, Nimble Strike, and Twin Strike
Again, no choice, but you have enough to not have to break a focused build

Beast Ranger Human options: Careful Attack, Twin Strike, Hit and Run, Circling Strike, and Predator Strike
You get 5 to pick from! Beasts win!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads