• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Lunar Sorcery: A Preview from Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass. Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created. Lunar Sorcerers also draw power...

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass.

lunar-socerer-featured.jpg

Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created.

Lunar Sorcerers also draw power from the moons, based on the moon's phase (Full, New, Crescent). You choose the phase each day (though at later levels you can do so more often). The subclass gets a lot of spells (15 additional spells!)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This. The wizard class might refer to himself as a sorcerer or warlock in the fiction, but he's a guy who learns magic from a book. Sorcerers and warlocks the classes, regardless of what they call themselves in the fiction, would probably be considered heathen wizards by the wizards of high sorcery and hunted down.
I guess maybe they'd find it odd that somebody managed to use magic so easily with little or no study, but I don't think required homework is a major part of the world's fiction. As long as they're a member of the order and follow the rules.

I guess maybe they'd find it odd that somebody managed to use magic so easily with little or no study, but I don't think required homework is a major part of the world's fiction. As long as they're a member of the order and follow the rules.
now I am pictureing the lazy HS student who never studies and does 0 homework and the hard working HS student that takes every book home to study every night and does checks and rechecks there home work that flips "How did you get a 100 on the test when I got a 97!?!?!"

darjr

I crit!
now I am pictureing the lazy HS student who never studies and does 0 homework and the hard working HS student that takes every book home to study every night and does checks and rechecks there home work that flips "How did you get a 100 on the test when I got a 97!?!?!"
My brother would have to write first and second drafts of essays after he’d written the final one because they were required and teachers wound not accept just one draft, but that first thing he wrote would win awards.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My brother would have to write first and second drafts of essays after he’d written the final one because they were required and teachers wound not accept just one draft, but that first thing he wrote would win awards.
I wasn't required to write drafts and for book reports/essays I'd often write them in the class prior to when they were due. Then get an A. :p

I got through high school with Cs, because my ADHD(undiagnosed back in the 80's) made it impossible for me to focus. That combined with learning what I needed to know after reading the chapter once, made homework too boring to do, and to my teen mind a waste of time. So I didn't do any. Fortunately 100s on all my tests and quizzes got me by.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It doesn't matter to me. To me classes are just game constructs, not fiction in the world. People don't introduce themselves as 'fighters' and 'barbarians' and 'rogues'. A 'wizard of high sorcery' is somebody who can do magic and is a member of the order. What rules elements are used to make that concept mechanically are behind the scenes.
Well, the Dragonlance novels depict the wizards of high sorcery pretty much as D&D wizards (spellbooks and all), so I'm not sure that's officially true in this case.

Think of it less as “the sorcerer” and more as “the master of metamagic” if you got an issue with sorcerer addition.

Or this this is great.

Or maybe favored by the three gods of magic (cause wizards are basically the clerics of the three magic moon gods so maybe sorcerers are the “favored souls”)

Or you know. Maybe you took a test and got possessed by an ancient charismatic scary mage who eventually you will need to kill after you go back in time.

Lotta fun ways to play sorcerer in Krynn

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I understand what you are saying and I think that's a reasonable interpretation. Given the history of Dragonlance and the wizards of high sorcery coming down hard on all outside magic, as well as all being book wizards, makes labeling sorcerers and warlocks heathen wizards a reasonable interpretation as well.

I'd personally be okay playing in a Dragonlance game that went in either direction, and would go in the latter direction for my personal game. Perhaps I would even set up a rival organization that's fairly new that competes with the towers and includes the newer spellcasting classes.

I wasn't required to write drafts and for book reports/essays I'd often write them in the class prior to when they were due. Then get an A. :p

I got through high school with Cs, because my ADHD(undiagnosed back in the 80's) made it impossible for me to focus. That combined with learning what I needed to know after reading the chapter once, made homework too boring to do, and to my teen mind a waste of time. So I didn't do any. Fortunately 100s on all my tests and quizzes got me by.
on this tangent my uncle was a teacher, and was friends with some of MY teachers... I made him and Mr Brown laugh so hard they turned purple one day... I was a good but not great student, and I had gotten 99s and 100s on tests in history but was pulling down a solid C+-B- on report cards... so it was the last week of school JR year and my uncle asked me why I had not turned in almost any history homework all year, I killed my grade... I told him the history teacher day 1 told us that homework was 10% of our grade but tests were 40% and quizes 20% and the rest was reports and class participation... so I told him and Mr Brown "That told me I could do little or no home work and pass... I don't get a better thing then pass for a 99% or a 79% and I test well... so he told me I didn't NEED to do the homework just not in those words"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads