• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to break out from eurogames

Punnuendo

First Post
Since this is a board game thread, I meant the board game by Fantasy Flight, not the MMO.

Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game | BoardGameGeek

and

Fantasy Flight Games [Age of Conan - Products] - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games.

are relevant links. Apparently it is not out yet, but some preview/demo reviews are popping up with very good things to say about it. I've been excited about it for a while and when the above poster mentioned playing it I wanted to check if it was released while I wasn't paying attention.

Imperialus

Explorer
Apparently it is not out yet, but some preview/demo reviews are popping up with very good things to say about it. I've been excited about it for a while and when the above poster mentioned playing it I wanted to check if it was released while I wasn't paying attention.

Sorry, should have clarified. One of the guys at my FLGS had a playtest/demo copy of it and he did a demo day for it.

Draz

Explorer
After just beginning to really dig into gaming this year, our group has grown weary of the somewhat lighter interactivity of eurogames. We got so many of them from our respective christmases that we've suddenly exploded through agricola, powergrid, race for the galaxy, ticket to ride, and puerto rico. They're all great games but we're burning ourselves out.

We're looking for a game, potentially a wargame, with the following criteria:

1) can potentially support 4+ players
2) no more complex than agricola/PR
3) Heavy on player interaction, preferably besides munchkin style "screwing".

Any suggestions are welcome. If you think of suggestions that would be more conditional based on what our group is like, please post them. Thanks in advance! If I managed to uncover something on my own I'll make sure to post it here, or if I follow up on a suggestion.

I have to agree with Scitadel. Diplomacy sounds *perfect* for your group.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know it sounds weird, but I love the Mayfair railroad games- especially Empire Builder and the ones based on it, like the fantasy version, Iron Dragon.

Badwe

First Post
I played empire builder when I was a young kid. Well, I tried to anyway, I never fully understood the game. Now I'm contemplating picking up Railroad Tycoon, but I'll need a bigger table first.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I played empire builder when I was a young kid. Well, I tried to anyway, I never fully understood the game. Now I'm contemplating picking up Railroad Tycoon, but I'll need a bigger table first.

With the Rails of Europe expansion, Railroad Tycoon moves to a smaller board and a much better play experience, IMO.

They'll be bringing out a new version of the base game soon, called "Rails of the World" which should also have that feature.

Cheers!

Shade

Monster Junkie
I know it sounds weird, but I love the Mayfair railroad games- especially Empire Builder and the ones based on it, like the fantasy version, Iron Dragon.

Iron Dragon is great fun. From time to time, someone in our group will request a good ol' game of "crayon train". :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Iron Dragon is great fun. From time to time, someone in our group will request a good ol' game of "crayon train". :D

Wasn't that an Ozzy Osbourne song?
Crayon Train

Aaaaaaaaaalllll Aboard! Ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

Crayon, but thats how it goes
Several people playing as foes
Maybe its not to late
To learn how to love
And try to move freight

Washed out bridge not healing
Life's a bitter shame
I'm going off the rails on a crayon train

(etc.)

No? Are you sure?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'll never be able to play Iron Dragon again without thinking of that song. :lol:

Those washed out bridges are rough!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads