• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

List of D&D Campaign Settings

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a list of official campaign settings published by TSR or Wizards of the Coast. For 5th Edition D&D settings, and third-party 5E settings, see D&D 5E Games & Settings.
  • Birthright
  • Blackmoor
  • Council of Wyrms
  • Dark Sun
  • Dragon Fist
  • Dragonlance
    • Time of the Dragon
  • Eberron
  • Forgotten Realms
    • Al-Qadim
    • The Horde
    • Kara-Tur
    • Malatra: The Living Jungle
    • Maztica
  • Ghostwalk
  • Greyhawk
  • Jakandor
  • Lankhmar
  • Mahasarpa
  • Mystara
    • Hollow World
    • Savage Coast
    • Thunder Rift
  • Nentir Vale
  • Pelinore
  • Planescape
  • Ravenloft
    • Masque of the Red Death
  • Ravnica
  • Rokugan
  • Spelljammer
  • Theros
  • Wildemount
  • Warcraft

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@Hriston I just undid your addition of Keep on the Borderlands -- it's an adventure, not a campaign setting. It wasn't set in any campaign setting when it was released, but was later assigned to Mystara (which is listed). :)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
@Hriston I just undid your addition of Keep on the Borderlands -- it's an adventure, not a campaign setting. It wasn't set in any campaign setting when it was released, but was later assigned to Mystara (which is listed). :)
I guess this brings up the question of what qualifies as a setting. To me, the fact that the keep and its environs isn’t set in any larger setting as published makes it, at least, its own mini-setting. I figured it would be controversial, though, and FWIW, KotB was also retroactively set in Greyhawk in Return to the Keep on the Borderlands.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Dragon Fist isn't canon or at least now it isn't copyright by WotC, and Rokugan was more as "guest artist" in 3rd Ed Oriental Adventures.

It was a campaign setting... just because they don't have a copyright now, doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the list.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Was warcraft a WotC setting? I thought it was made by a 3rd party unless warcraft isn't the warcraft/world of warcraft RPG I'm thinking of.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Also, I don’t think either of the suggested settings for KotB (either Mystara or Greyhawk) are all that consistent with the (implied?) setting of the published adventure: the Realm in the West and the Lands of Chaos in the East, with the Borderlands between. I’m not too familiar with Mystara, but the placement in Greyhawk certainly doesn’t match what’s described in the adventure. Gary Gygax suggested the Pomarj as a good location within Greyhawk, however, but, as published, it’s really its own thing, kind of an Ur-setting for D&D.

gyor

Legend
It was a campaign setting... just because they don't have a copyright now, doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the list.

Maybe settings WotC no longer has to rights to use should be in seperate part of the list.

Warcraft, Rokagan, ect... really while having books using D&D rules aren't apart of the D&D multiverse, as it is the MtG ones are a grey area, for for now I'd keep them eith the traditional D&D settings and Wildemount.

Remove ads